Chapter 39:Play Your Role

Chapter 39

Play Your Role
--------------------------------
Jewels

"That's what I don't get about females." Adonis blurted out while we sat comfortably on the couch binge watching Insecure.

"What?"

"If y'all so tired of niggas, why not leave?"

"She did leave, kinda." I replied defending her in a way.

"Nah, a break is not leaving. She shoulda stayed wit' ol' girl wit' the big mouth, but instead she wanna go out cheatin' on homie. She must not have seen Temptation." He said, making me laugh.

I could never honestly sit and watch tv without him talking through every episode. That's why I was so happy when somebody started knocking on the front door.

Sitting my sour patch kids down on the coffee table I got up and went to get the door since Adonis was all into the show. I reached the front door and stood on my tip toes to see who it was.

"Oh, hey Ms. Lisa," I smiled, opening the door wider and stepping back so she could come in. I've never seen her physically or even had the chance to meet her but just looking at her I knew right away who she was.

"Is Adonis here?"

"Uh Yea," I replied then made my way back to the living room. "Your mama is here." I said to Adonis pointing behind me.

"How you know whea' I live?" He asked, jumping up from the couch as I took his spot.

"Your grandma, because you don't know how to return my calls."

"That's because we have nothin' to talk about."

"We do, a lot actually, but we can talk about that some other time. I really just came by to get Isa."

"Get Isa?"

"Yeah, I--"

"Fa what?"

"I wanted to spend some time with her while I'm here."

"I don't know about allat." He replied, rubbing his hands over his face.

I didn't know how I felt about Isa going anywhere with Ms. Lisa also. I know that's her mother, but she barely knows the lady, and one interaction with Isa isn't enough for her just to be popping up like this. And based on what Adonis told me about their last meeting and even us talking about her. He wasn't about to let his sister go with her.

"Listen, I'm just taking her out I'm not kidnapping her or nothin', you don't have to be so worried. She has to get to know me as her mother, Bubba." She explained.

"She might not even go with you Lisa."

"If she doesn't then that's okay but at least let her make that decision."

Sighing loudly he walked away from her going towards the back to the girls room.

"So you must be Jewels?"

"Yes," I replied with a light smile.

"I've heard a lot of nice things about you."

"Oh," I replied not knowing what else to say to this lady before turning back to face the TV.

I mean what was there to say? I haven't heard anything nice about her and the assumption that I've gotten to make up about her for my own sake hasn't been pleasant either. I turned back to face her thinking maybe something else would come to mind to say, but as I started to speak again she did too.