Eight

Ethan grabbed her and held her in his arms. He soothed her back as more and more cries came out. He walked her to the couch and put an arm around her shoulder. She leaned on his arm and her cries began fading away.

Ethan wanted to know what was making her feel this way, he knew it was about her family, but he wanted to know why. "Would you like to tell me why you hate your family?"

She cleaned her tears off and leaned in closer to Ethan. She felt comfortable and safe with him, especially cause this was the first time she was so close to someone. "They don't care about me. They blame me for what happened to my mother and because of that, I am treated like crap. I hate living with them, I try my best to do what they want, but to them, I never do anything right" she moved her left hand and placed it over her cheek, "my father, or more like step father, has always hit me. But this time he decided to punch me, all because I didn't cook the food right"

Ethan didn't know what to say, but he was boiling with anger. His hands were twitching, forming a fist, but he had to be strong for her.

"My mother was raped when she was 16 years old and I was born soon after. I am the daughter of a rapist. The result of a rape." New tears escaped from her eyes. A memory of what her parents did 6 years ago, comes and haunts her. She sat up and looked at Ethan, "thank you so much Ethan. I've never had someone hear me out or care for me. This means so much to me." She leaned closer to him and gave him a big hug. He was surprised, but hugged her back. Neither of them had ever had someone hug them, as a friend or even family.

"Sir, breakfast is served" Jeffrey announced quietly. They both got out of their embrace and walked downstairs.

They were left alone as they ate, so Ethan decided to ask Danielle something, but he was nervous to. He knew she hated living in her home, but wasn't sure if asking this would be good. "Danielle?"

She finished chewing before answering, "yes?"

"Do you..." he's very nervous, "do you want to move in? Like to be away from your family"

Danielle was shocked, she didn't know what to say. She had just met Ethan a few days ago, but move in with him? She hasn't even met his family, she doesn't even know anything about them. But if she continued to live with her family, she will constantly be hit and mistreated. She looked at him, "I'm going to be honest. I've always wanted to move out, far away from them, but I don't know anything about you, or your family"

"What would you like to know?" He thought that if he answered all her questions, she'd move in. The reason he wants her to agree is because he would feel bad knowing that she is in her home, being mistreated by her parents without being able to do anything about it. So having her close, he could protect her.

"Well, your family?"

"My father is a successful business man and is hardly ever home. My mother passed away when I was born. And I'm the only child." Ethan was ashamed of what his father really was, so he would always say he was a business man.

Danielle didn't know what to say when he mentioned his mother. "I'm sorry about your mother."

"Thank you, my dad always says she was an amazing woman who liked helping the less fortunate." He looks up and meets with Danielle's eyes, "so tell me about your family"

"Well, I don't know my biological father, but my mom once had a boyfriend that treated me as his daughter. But my mom decided he had to go, so she sent him to prison for something he didn't do and he got 20 years, but I love him deeply, he's the only family that actually loves and cares for me. My stepdad is an engineer, my mom works at an office making calls, and my sister is still in high school. But I don't know much about them because they hate being around me. Now, tell me about you?"

He didn't know what to immediately say, so he just introduced himself properly, "I'm Ethan Harris, 21 years old. I'm an animation major. Uhh I have one leg, as you can see"

That was something Danielle wanted to ask a few days ago, "how did that happen?"

"It was an accident, a man with a motorcycle ran over my leg when I accidentally tripped as I was crossing the street" He had rehearsed that lie many times, since everyone asked. But for some reason, he felt guilty for telling it to Danielle.

"I guess it's my turn now" she shyly smiles. "I'm Danielle Miller, but you could call me Dani. I am also 21 years old. I'm a graphic design major. And well, that's all, my life is boring."

Ethan wanted to bring the question back, he hoped that now that she knew a little more about him, she'll accept. "So, bringing the question back, what do you say?"