Chapter XVI

I tried running, but Karo grabbed me and held me in place.

“How?” I asked through the gag.

“A very powerful spell that nearly killed my magicians.” Karo told me.

            My uncle looked at Matthias and clicked his tongue in disapproval.

“So powerful, but yet so weak. High Chancellor, may I have your permission to kill him?”

“First I want to know how he knew where my camps were and which ones he knew were which. Take her to the dungeons.” Karo ordered before shoving me to my uncle.

            My uncle led me to the dungeons and undid the gag, before shoving me into a cell. He left my arms tied, leaving me defenseless. He smiled at me through the bars.

“I am going to have fun killing your husband.” He said, walking away.

“He won’t reveal anything to you!” I shouted.

“He may not, but let’s see what he’ll say and let’s see what he does when he hears Karo take you.”

            He smiled and before he left, I heard Matthias scream in pain.

“It seems that Karo has gotten to work on your husband. The High Chancellor will be back for you.”

            He left me in the cell and I was very scared. Karo would be back any minute for me. Matthias’s constant shouts of pain did not ease my nerves either. Every time a scream came, I wanted to cover my ears, but my hands were still tied, so it was impossible. I had to spend the next few minutes listening to them torture my husband. For a moment it stopped and that’s when Karo came for me. He unlocked the cell and grabbed me. We came to my parent’s bedroom and he threw me on the bed.

“How did Allen do this again?” he asked.

            In a second he was on top of me and tore at my slave clothes. I was going to fight back this time and I was going to win. I delivered a well-placed kick to his groin and he doubled over. I pulled my arms apart and the rope snapped. I was free now. I leapt off the bed and grabbed the first thing I could use for a weapon. I used it and repeatedly hit Karo with it. When reality came back to me, I dropped the lamp and looked down at the bloodied Karo. His face was cut from the lamp and there were bruises forming. He looked up at me and I think for the first time in his life, his eyes had fear in them.

“You are not going to abuse me anymore, you bastard!” I shouted.

            I turned and ran from the spot I was standing, and locked the door. My next stop was the dungeon. I had to knock out the guards and steal a sword for protection. Once I was inside the dungeon. I had to locate the torture room. When I found it, Matthias’s pants and screams led me in the right direction. The guards had Matthias strapped to a rack, shirtless, and were putting red hot irons on his bare skin. Acting quickly, I severed one guards head and stuck the other through his stomach. I made sure that there were no other guards and unstrapped Matthias from the rack and set him on the floor.

“You didn’t have to do that.” He said, weakly.

“You are a warrior and I am a warrior’s wife.” I told him.

“How touching.” The voice of my uncle said.

            I turned to face him.

“The two young lovers reunited.” He said with mock joy. “Now…they can die together.”

“That won’t happen.” Matthias said, trying to get up.

            I set him back down and picked up the sword.