Chapter XIV

We spent weeks planning the final attack on Karo and freeing the other camps. I didn’t like the first part of the plan because I had to go back to Karo, then we would wait until the attack or attack immediately. Either way, I knew that I would have to dress in my slave outfit again and a fake pendant was being made for me. I was not excited for this plan at all.

            I was now in the library, reading on some royal history. I came across my own family’s history. Written by my father, I read how my parents met, their wedding, and when they came to my kingdom. My father then wrote about what they came across when they got off the ship.

            As I helped Cindy off the boarding plank, I spotted a young family who dropped bags of food. There were too many for them to pick up and the woman was carrying an infant in her arms. To make a good impression on this new kingdom, I decided to help them with their spilled goods.

“Allow me to help with that, sir.”

“There’s really no need to…” the man began until he saw my face. “My apologies, sire.”

“There is no need for that, you didn’t know who I was.”

“We wanted to make a good first impression of our arrival to this kingdom, to show we are not cruel.” Cindy added. “May we ask for your names?”

“I am Martin, this is my wife Rose and our son, Matthias.”

“How old is the little one?” I asked.

“Almost three months.” Rose answered.

“Can I hold him?” Cindy asked.

“You will need practice soon.” Rose said, waving a hand at her large stomach.

Cindy laughed as she rubbed her stomach. “I will won’t I?”

“Just be careful. He is my first baby.”

“You have my assurances that I will not drop him.”

            Rose passed her the infant and she held him close to her bosom. He only stirred a little when he was passed.

“How far along are you, your majesty?” Martin asked.

“Eight months and I am hoping for a girl.”

            Cindy gave a small yelp as the young boy gave her a punch with his tiny fist. She just laughed and passed the baby back to his mother.