Chapter VIII

Six Months Later

            I felt a sharp pain in my stomach and I curled into a ball.

“Get up, Slave.” I heard the guard’s voice. “You have five minutes to prepare your master’s breakfast. Do not be late.”

            He then left and I got up from the floor. I dropped the dirty brown blanket I had around me then hurried to the kitchen as fast as I could. I could only move so fast due to a knee injury I received as punishment for not listening to Karo or as I had to call him “Master”. It was six months after he enslaved me and started his Great Surfacing. It ended only two months after it began.

            Karo had all but taken over the world. The only safe haven was the Elf Kingdom. Many people fled there when their villages were destroyed by Karo’s men. My people were enslaved and made into breeders for his army. I was Karo’s personal slave and the day I turned eighteen I would become his breeder. Needless to say, I hated it.

            I had to bend to his every wish and I had to because he would cause me pain with the pendant. I hated that pendant. It was the reason I was in this situation. A rescue from Matthias was not possible as Karo had his forces took over my kingdom’s air defense systems. The worst thing about my slavery was my outfit. Karo had my slave “uniform” as a golden strapless brassiere and a snowy white loin cloth. It came down to just to give me the coverage that Karo thought I needed. He also added a gold diadem as a reminder of what I used to be. He took my necklace and engagement ring away and hid them from me. My back was covered with scabs from Karo’s numerous punishments and whippings. I later learned that he made a deal with Phil to get rid of the dragons, but he stabbed Phil in the back. Literally and figuratively.

            Once I was in the kitchen, I started making pancakes for “Master”. The other slaves came in and started making their master’s breakfasts. Unlike me, they wore maid uniforms and shared a single room. They also wore collars around their necks, each a different color to show who they belonged to. Karo only locked a collar on me when there was a feast or party. We then walked out to the kitchen and brought out their breakfasts. It was the same as every day. Karo’s friends had women on their laps and had mead in their mugs for every meal.

“Karo, you have to lend me your slave for just one night.”

“Sorry, Caleb, I’ve told you. She’s to become my breeder when she turns eighteen.”

            Another of his friends grabbed me and slammed me down on the table, by my throat. He caressed my face, hair, and stomach before saying.

“She is rather beautiful, Karo.”

“Matt, unhand her. You have plenty of slaves to please you.”

            Matt then threw me to the floor. The other slaves just stood there knowing they would be punished for their interference. We then left and cleaned up the kitchen. A slave placed a cloth to the right side of my lower back.

“You’re bleeding. Let me help.”

“It must have happened when I got thrown.”