Chapter III

After Matthias assured me that nothing would happen, we headed back for the castle. However, we were delayed by Creepy Phil. Today was Sunday and he always preached on Sundays.

“It is not too late to turn away from the dragons, my brothers and sisters.” He preached. “He has already deceived our Queen and he will deceive you next. These are Godless times and he will bring Hell upon Earth. I beg you brothers and sisters, trample him down and rise against him.”

“Phil!” I called out.

            He stopped preaching and faced me as I walked up to him.

“Are you attacking me?” I asked.

“Never, my Queen. Just the one who has deceived you.”

“You attack him; you attack his dragon, his army, and me. Go home, Phil. I don’t need you to poison the minds of my people.”

            As he left, I saw Jesse in the crowd. I walked up to him and he bowed respectfully.

“What was that all about, your majesty?” he asked.

“Ah, he’s just an old loony who thinks I’m a warrior of the Devil.” Matthias joined in. “Are you settling okay?”

“Yes, we are. It may take the children to adjust to our new life. I didn’t recognize you without your dragon.”

“Vanilor is out hunting. It takes more than the occasional deer to fill his stomach.”

“Out of curiosity, why did you move here?” I asked.

“We made just enough money to feed two children, but when Caroline told me she was pregnant, I knew we had to find a new life. She was delayed when she gave birth on the road.”

“Has the child received any medical treatment?” Matthias asked.

“No.”

“Bring her to the castle soon, we can have the doctors examine her.”

“Are they trained well enough?”

“They are the same doctors who helped my mother with my brothers. They are experienced.”

“Very well.”

            We agreed that we should meet soon after dinner, to medically examine the child. I would give anything to have one of my own. That was a question Matthias and I asked ourselves frequently. However, if I fell pregnant out of wedlock, I would be looked down upon by other members of Royalty. I often fantasied about living in a new castle with Matthias and our baby. If Vanilor was good with hatchlings, then he must be good with human children. The meeting today took up most of the day, so we were about to sit down to dinner.