Chapter X

Matthias is the Black Rider? I asked myself.

“How?”

“I’ll show you.”

            She then went to the table and typed on the keyboard. The hologram then started. It showed Matthias pouring a bag of liquid in a field.

“The cameras caught this after we’d been informed that my mother was dead.”

“What’s he doing?”

“A dark magical ritual.”

“Matthias has never went into has the dark magic.”

“He has now. The liquid is dragon blood. It’s the only ingredient needed for the ritual.”

            I then continued to watch the ritual. Matthias finished pouring out the dragon blood and went in the center. I saw his face. His eyes held anger, his jaws were clenched and he looked as if he were as evil as my uncle. He then drew lines on his face with the blood and slammed his fists into the ground. The blood went up in a surge of red energy and Matthias was replaced with Shadow. Night Fire then landed next to him. Night Fire must have been Vanilor. They then took off and flew away. Melody then ended the hologram.

“We received word the next day that they attacked a village of merpeople. Only women and children were spared.”

“Then there must be some good in him left.”

“Ashley, it may be Matthias’s body, but it is not Matthias. Shadow has taken over. In over a thousand years, he has become the first Dark Rider. Those who go to the dark side do not come back, unless through a magic more powerful than a Rider’s and a Dark Rider is more powerful than any other being in the world. He has the power of one hundred million Riders. He’s gone.”

            I felt my heart break and I ran to my bedroom. I fell on the bed sobbing knowing I had lost Matthias. I felt hatred for Karo as he truly took Matthias away from me. I ended up crying myself to sleep.

            When I woke I still felt the dried tears on my face and my dress was tear-stained. I then went to the bathroom to have a bath. I knew it wasn’t the cleanest of ways, but I wanted to relax. I knew it wouldn’t work for the sorrow I was feeling. There was no cure for a broken heart. I wanted to see my Matthias again. I needed him. What was the use? I knew he was gone. He might as well had a funeral when he did that ritual. My body ached as much as my heart did. I wished I never went for that swim I had that fateful morning. I then heard a knock at the door.

“Ashley? You in here?” I heard Sarah’s voice.

“Yeah, I’m in the bathtub.”

            I heard her chuckling from the other side of the door.

“Seriously?” I asked her.

“Sorry, but you have to admit that is funny.”

“It kinda is.” I admitted, trying not to smile. “What are you doing anyway?”

“They put me on suicide watch for you. I heard what Melody told you. I’m sorry about Matthias.”

“Yeah,” I said.

            Hearing he became a Dark Rider did make me depressed, but not suicidal. There must have been some part of Matthias inside Shadow. What was more a powerful force that could turn a Dark Rider back to his good side?

“Gimme a few minutes, I’ll be down for breakfast.” I told Sarah.

            I then got out of the tub and changed into a new clean dress. I then went down for breakfast. The rest of the day was planning for an attack on my home castle. I spent the day in the library and read about the Riders before their war with the Royal Families. It was odd that Matthias was the leader of the Dragon Riders and I was a princess. I then saw records of a Rider who fell in love with a princess. They were found out and they were executed. That is what triggered the war. Was this to be the second war between the merfolk and Dragon Riders? This was what Matthias and I were. A mermaid in love with a Dragon Rider. How could Karo do this?