Chapter IV

Matthias and I went to the two chairs in front of the table and sat down. Wine was poured for us and plates of meat were served in front of us.

“I don’t eat poisoned food.” Matthias said.

“It is not poisoned.” Allan replied.

“I don’t believe that. I won’t eat a bite until you do.”

            Matthias then slid his plate toward Mason and his wine glass. I knew Matthias wasn’t one to drink so I couldn’t blame him on not wanting the wine. He’d seen too much abuse to the effects of alcohol. Mason took a knife and stabbed the steak with it. He then took a huge bite in the meat and swallowed it, showing that it was not poisoned.

“I have no desire to kill you…yet.” Mason said.

“That’s relieving.” Matthias sarcastically said.

            Mason then checked his arm bandage. It was still bleeding as it was this morning.

“I see that my sword still causes you pain.”  Matthias said.

“That it does. I cannot tell you how many blood transfers I needed in order to survive this long.

“You don’t have to worry about that soon.”

“So, my young magician, why do you think that you can kill me?”

“Kill you? I was thinking about capturing you and putting you on trial for your crimes. Your fate will be decided by our people.”

“What crimes have I committed?”

“You’ve attacked many of our allies and kidnapped me after attempting to previously.” I stated.

“Kidnapped? No, I chose you to marry my son. It’s considered a privilege.”

“You may call it a privilege, but we call it bride kidnapping.” Matthias informed him.

“It may be, but she is supposed to marry me tonight.” Allan said.

“I will give you a warning: let us walk out of here and no harm will come to you.”  Matthias growled standing up.

Allan stood up from his own chair. “You think you can walk out of here alive? By the end to the night, you will be dead and she will open her legs for me.” He gloated as he came over to Matthias.

            This earned him a quick, but powerful punch in the nose. I winced at the sickening sound of cartilage crunching. Blood spurted everywhere on the table and Allan called for the guards. They came in as Mason stood up.

“Get this in your head she is marrying my son, tonight.” He repeated to Matthias.