Chapter XV

My heart was pounding in my chest as I slowly changed into my slave clothes. I finished with the diadem and walked out of the room, but not before grabbing the stone Melody gave me for Shadow and a dress for later. She said that it needs to touch Shadow’s heart for ten seconds otherwise it wouldn’t work. Matthias and his army were waiting for me. Melody then placed the fake pendant in my navel and wrapped a cloak around me for warmth. Tom and Tyler then cast a spell on Matthias and his form changed. He was now a tall black haired elf with Matthias’s eyes. His armor was an elf tunic and his boots were woven.

“I thought that someone else was bringing me to Karo.”

“And who better than your husband?” Fred asked.

“I see, and you are?”

“My name is Legion.” The disgusted Matthias said. His voice was now deeper and more menacing.

“Remember, you must fight the urge to protect her. She survived six months on her own and she can survive for another night.” Melody said.

“I’m concerned that she won’t survive. The Old World histories documented slaves being beaten to death for running away.” Liana said.

“What happens then? I won’t lose my wife to a beating.”

“Then try to stall. Both of you.”

“Are you ready?” Tom asked.

“As I’ll ever be.” I said, almost in a whisper.

            Vanilor then landed next to us. The plan was to have him drop us off about ten miles from our kingdom and ride by horse to the castle. We got on Vanilor’s saddle and he took off. The cold weather was terrible for us, but Vanilor had his own built in furnace inside him. We landed to warm up several times due to the high winds and my scarcity of clothes. Matthias (Legion) wrapped his arms around me while Vanilor wrapped his wings us and the small fire he made for us.

“How are you holding up?” Matthias asked.

“Every mile closer is a mile I feel weaker and I know it’s you, but you’re just scarier now.”

“They did good, right?”

“You’re still scary.”

“It’s okay, if Karo tries to hurt you, I’ll shift into Shadow and…”

“Kill him? We need to try him alive for his crimes.”

“I was going to say knock him out. Try to get some sleep, you’re going to need your strength to endure your slavery again.”

            I took his advice and fell asleep in his arms. When I woke up, we had landed and I saw Matthias coming towards me and Vanilor with a black horse.

“Last stop, Ashley.” Vanilor told me.

“Vanilor, you never called me by my name.”

“You’re my Rider’s mate, that gives me the right to address you by name now.”

            Matthias took me off Vanilor and put me on the horse. He put an extra cloak around me as it was getting colder.

“Just to warn you, I’ll have to bind and gag you when we get close to the castle.” He told me.

“I know. We have to make it look real.” I stated.

“You ready?”

“Yes, let’s go.”

            We rode hard for the next seven miles and when we saw the castle in sight, Matthias took out rope and a cloth.

“Ouch! Not so tight.” I exclaimed.

“Sorry, I was trying to be gentle.”

“Not gentle enough.”

            Once he was done, he took the cloth out. He kissed me and told me he loved me, before tying it around my head and mouth. He pulled the hood up on the cloak and headed to the castle. A guard then stopped us.

“Halt! State your business.” He told Matthias.

“I’ve come to collect a bounty.” He pulled the hood off me. “Escape slave.”

“Ah, High Chancellor Karo will be pleased with her return. Follow me.”

High Chancellor? I asked myself. Wow, he really is in love with himself.

            The guard led us to the castle and Matthias forced me off the horse I knew it was an act, but it still hurt. Gripping my arm, he led me up the stair to my former office. The guard knocked on the door and I heard Karo say.

“Enter and be quick.”

            The guard opened the door and I saw Karo perk up. He hadn’t shaven and his hair looked disheveled. Papers were littered everywhere and there were slave girls chained to my desk.

“It appears that there is one bounty hunter that is not so incompetent.” Karo said as he approached me. “Welcome back, Slave.”

            He caressed my face, but Matthias pulled me back.

“You’ll get her, when I get my reward.” He told Karo.

“Very well” he turned slightly to the left. “Give the Dragon Rider his reward.”

            Matthias shouted in pain and his spell faded. He let go off me and fell to the floor unconscious. I quickly turned and saw someone that I hoped to never see again: My uncle.

“Hello, niece.”