The Denali's

Claire was lying on the hospital bed looking very . . . sick and fragile. It looked like she was hooked up to a blood bag. She had a cast on her leg, a neck brace on and cuts and bruises everywhere. Who the hell did this to her?

                I grabbed a hold of Seth’s hand and started walking towards Quil. He was sitting next to the bed staring right at Claire’s face. Not to be rude, but he looked terrible. Like, really, really, really sick. Seth and I grabbed two chairs and put them next to Quil. I nudged Seth’s side so that he would say something.

                “What happened, man?”

                Quil looked at us with purplish eyes. “She almost died; man . . . I almost lost her. The freaking vamp got to her. She lost sooo much blood, yo. And, I wasn’t there to save her.”

                For the first time in a long time, I didn’t know what to say. I could only imagine what Quil might be going through right now. I glanced at Seth and saw him shrug. I put my hand on Quil's leg so that he would look at me.

                “Don’t you wanna . . . I mean, why are you still here? Why do you keep torturing yourself by looking at her?”

                He shivered and said, “Because, Z. I wanna make myself see her like this. To remind me of what I did and what I could have done. I could have done so much for her, Zoie.”

                I sighed. Quil was making me so mad. Why was he doing this to himself? There was nothing he could have done. Told Embry that, too. Why were werewolves always so difficult?

                Standing up, I put my hand on Quil’s throat. His eyes turned black and my braid lifted off of my shoulders. Dropping my hand, I staggered backwards, but Seth caught me and helped me to sit down. I felt so dizzy right now.

                “Command me, Zoie.”

                Lightheaded, I said, “Quil, I want you to stop blaming yourself for this. Go home and get some rest. I want you to come back when you’re sure that you’re ready to see Claire. She needs you, Quil. She needs you to be strong for her.”

                After Quil left, we also left. It felt nice to have made Quil feel better about himself. This gift really had its advantages, especially for me. Ha, I wonder why my parents didn’t use it more than they already did.

                Sighing I put in one of Seth’s masterpiece CD’s. Techno was freaking the shit! Turning the volume way up, I started a conversation with my future hubby. Fiancé!

                “Did you notice how sick Quil looked?” We were almost to my house now, yay for that, because my butt was tired of sitting.

                “Yeah. It’s cause of Claire. You know how when the imprintee dies so does the imprinter? Same with being sick, Z. And, also when they haven’t seen each other in a long time.

                I looked at Seth. We were already parked in my driveway. “Is that why you looked so sick when I came back?”

                He nodded.

                “Seth I—“

                “Don’t worry about it. I’ll see you tomorrow, kay?” I got out of the car and headed towards my house.

                I love you.

                I love you, too, Z.