18

Philip was dreading school that day, as always, but it was first period that he was dreading even more. Math with Mr. Meyers. The teacher wasn't the issue, it was his only class without Lukas and Rose sat right behind him where she could easily taunt and bully him.

Philip pressed a small kiss to Lukas' cheek as they parted ways in the hall and he made his way to the only class he could say he truly hated. Looking back, if he'd known that the girl sitting behind him in first period would be his boyfriends homophobic ex, he would've chosen a different seat. The brunette boy walked into the classroom and took his seat, second row from the back. Rose was already glaring and he could tell she was in a particularly pissy mood that fine Tuesday morning but he just rolled his eyes and ignored her. He didn't have time for her childish and irrelevant attitude. Mr. Meyers came into the room about a minute after the bell rang and he sat down at his desk. He was a tall man, fairly young and decently attractive, most students thought he was hot while Philip found him to be annoying and a try-hard but he wasn't complaining.

It was about halfway into the lesson when Philip felt a piece of paper hit the back of his head, he swiftly turned around and made eye contact with a giggling Rose. "Fucking queer." She spit at him and he rolled his eyes, going back to his paper to continue copying the note. "Philip, you're a slut." She whispered, hurling forward another piece of paper. Philip continued to ignore her. Rose kept throwing her paper and her insults at Philip and he kept ignoring her, the petty side of him was screaming at him to tell her how many times Lukas had cheated on her and how he never loved her but he held it back as much as he could.

The boy was at his breaking point when she leaned forward once again. "You should just fucking kill yourself you worthless fag." This time, Mr. Meyers heard her. "Excuse me Rose." She looked up at him and smiled slightly, playing with her hair like an idiot. "If you feel that way then you can feel free to leave my classroom because I will not tolerate that kind of behavior or treatment towards gays in my class." Rose scoffed and gathered her books. "Whatever. You deserved to die, next time you're gonna up and kill yourself, try harder. Faggot." She glared at Philip as she left. "While you're on your way to go get pregnant, take a detour at the office." Mr. Meyers said out the door before shutting it and giving Philip a small smile.

Once class had ended, Philip stayed back in his seat until the room was clear. He stood and made his way to the teachers desk. "Mr. Meyers, I just wanted to say thank you for sticking up for me, it means a lot." He smiled at Philip and nodded. "I'm always here to talk if you ever need it Philip. I mean it." Philip walked out of the class with a smile on his face for the first time since he'd started school there.

That was when Philip knew for sure that it would get better.