PROLOUGE; Saying Goodbye

"I don't know what you want me to say!" I snapped Justin who was pacing furiously. His head snapped up towards me from the floor. His face turning a dark red. His eyes flushed black with anger. Taking labored breaths as he walked towards me. The room was eerily silent and thick with tension, the only thing heard was his heavy breathing and mine quickening with every step he took. We were at his house and have been arguing about nothing for the past 30 minutes.

With every word he spoke, he was calm. ¨I don't want you to say anything.¨ he said, pausing as he ran his skin peeled fingers through his slightly unkempt hair. ¨But that's your problem.¨ he let out a large aggravated sounding breath. I groaned in annoyance and backed up as I felt my intake of oxygen lessening because of how close we were standing. "You run your mouth so damn much you never take the time
to listen."

"Because you never say anything of importance." I sighed. "Are we going to do this everyday?¨ I questioned with a roll of my tired eyes. We have been at this constant arguing for an extensive two weeks. I honestly don't know what I did, if I even did anything at all. All I know is Justin has been way more moody than usual. ¨All you've done is pick a fight with me for the past two weeks. Over the most ridiculous shit.¨ I throw my hands up in frustration and bring them back down sharply at my legs. Trying hard to maintain the small shred of patience I had left.

Tired of standing, I take a seat on the couch throwing my legs up at the table in front of me. Justin shot me a glare and knocked them off. ¨Don't put your shoes, that you walked around outside and god knows where else on my table.¨ I waved him off with my hand, not in the mood for his OCD nonsense.

He's in the mafia for fucks sake, so I don't know how the hell he has the time or the energy to be OCD. I also kept my feet right where they were just to annoy him for pissing me off. He sucked in a deep breath looking like he want to impale me with the lamp in the corner of the room. I laughed lightly and slowly drug my feet off the table making sure to leave a mark on the glass.

"You live to piss me off... don't you?" He squinted his brown eyes at me. I just nodded my head, gave him an innocent smile and pulled out my phone. "You're an adult for fucks sake, act like it." He muttered then proceeded to utter a few choice words under his breath he sat down across from me. "We need to talk." He said. I glanced up to look at him from my phone and stared at him, not saying a word. This can't be good. Those four words are never good. I looked back down at my phone not really wanting to hear what he had to say, but I was still curious. Justin sighed standing up taking my phone. "Listen to me, please?" I nodded, looking at my reflection in the now smudged glass table. He closed his eyes taking yet another breath. His eyes opened and there was a flash of regret, maybe even sadness but it went away as quickly as it came.

"What is it?" I ask slowly slightly scared of what he's about to tell me.

Clasping his hands together and tossing them in his lap. "You've been with me long enough to know what I do. You also know full well the danger that comes with it." Licking his lips he glanced up at me. "I can't put you in that type of danger anymore Ade."

My breathing catches in my throat. I knew this wasn't going to be good. "So what are you saying? Are you breaking up with me?" I speak slowly feeling my heart drop to the bottom of my stomach. Looking at the floor he stays silent. The tension that seemed to have died down from a few minutes ago is back with a vengeance and is enveloping me. Almost mocking me.

He looks up and nods his head slowly. I let out a shaky breath I had no idea I was holding. My bottom lip trembles, I bite it trying to get it to stop as a tear involuntarily rolls down my cheek. I wipe it away quickly hoping it goes unnoticed.

"No." I shake my head rapidly. "You can't- we can't." My words get caught in my throat.

"We have to. I just want what's best for you." He pressed his lips into a thin line.