Chapter 11

An old chevy pulled over to the curb. An older woman stepped out from the car and walked to the sidewalk I was on. She wore a printed dress with a large knitted sweater thrown over. Her white hair was short and curly. Her wrinkled face lit up when she saw me. She looked at me as if I were a person, which was a nice change.

"You were right, I couldn't have missed you.'' She smiled as she stuck out her hand to me. I shook it gently before resting my arm against my side. "I'm Anna Johnson. It is a pleasure to meet you." I spoke in my most polite voice possible. For now on I would be Anna Johnson. ''Maggie Williams. How about I show you the apartment and we will go from there." I nodded simply. Maggie walked around the front of the rusted maroon chevy. She opened the door and I hoped the passenger door. I sat on the worn seat and closed the door.

As Maggie pulled away from the curb, I stared out the window at the passing buildings and shops. "Thank you for driving me, I appreciate it." I would need to take the bus or get a bike. I have hear of subways but those sound scary. "It is no problem at all. You sounded like you needed some help and I am glad to give it. So, what has gotten you into this whole mess anyways?" Here we go. I didn't want to lie to her, but what choice did I have? I know how hurt I was because of lies and I would never want anyone else to be hurt like I was. But this was for her safety and mine.

"Well, I came from Ohio. I was living with my ex boyfriend and he was abusive towards me for many years. I was finally able to leave him and start my new life. I came here in hopes of finding a place in the world. Of course I couldn't live in a hotel, so I looked through the news paper for a place to stay." I kept my voice monotone, leaving hints of emotion. I had to be consistent with my lie. I wouldn't let it consume me though.

"I'm sorry you had to deal with that dear. Young boys your age don't know how to become men. When I was your age..." Maggie flew off into a story of when she was younger. I nodded along to show that I was listening. But I was really watching the cars go by and the people. I also saw some interesting buildings and places that I could go to. Maggie turned left at an intersection. The car drove up the steep hill, passing older, but comfortable houses. The houses were all different sizes and colors which made them interesting. After turning left down one more street, she only drove past a few more houses before parking her car. The entire street was lined with tall maple trees.

We both stepped out of the car to face the apartment. It was actually a small, mint green house with white detailing. The house was nestled between two other slightly larger houses. A set of concrete stairs let up to the house, being as the house was on a hill. Maggie lead me up the stairs that were beginning to chip and crack. Taking out a key, she unlocked the white, wooden door. We stepped into a small mudroom with a bench against one wall. Windows circled around the mudroom, letting in light. Then Maggie unlocked the second door.

"This house used to belong to my son and I. The basement is where he used to stay and it is currently locked. I keep storage down there right now. This floor would be yours." Maggie pushed the second door open to reveal a dusty hallway. The floors were polished wood, but dirty. A coat closet sat beside the entrance. Walking forwards, I saw that to the right, was a large, empty room where a living room would be. To the left was the kitchen. I stepped inside of the kitchen and I looked around. The floors were tiled white. To the far wall, there was lots of space for a table and chairs. The big open window was a great view when I would be cooking breakfast. The kitchen was cosy, but not too small. Long, marble counters, a white fridge closest to the entrance of the kitchen, cupboards above and below the counter, an oven... It was a perfect kitchen.

I left the kitchen with Maggie and we continued down the hallway. There was a linen closet near the end of the hallway. I opened the first door I saw and entered the room. It was a medium sized room with a closet and a window; nothing special. I entered the next room across the hall to see the exact same type of room as the last one. This room was slightly bigger though. The door at the end of the hall was the bathroom. I entered the small room.