Chapter 30

I felt sick. I tried to sleep, but I couldn't. No matter how many times I rolled from one side of the motel bed, to the other.

The rest of the day was filled with hugging and silence. I couldn't stop telling my family how much I loved them over and over again. No matter how many times I was reassured by Eaton and the others that nothing was going to happen, I couldn't quite believe it.

I had a bad gut feeling. Though we had planned everything out to the finest lines, we couldn't be exactly certain of anything.

Not only that, but I had too much to lose. I didn't want any of my people to die yet I knew they would. The doubts and bad thoughts wouldn't stop floating around and my stomach felt as if it were getting punched over and over again.

. . . .

I threw on my clothes and armour. I checked to make sure my knife and gun were still there and I was off.

The plan was set into motion. Two black vans were deployed. One I was in and the other had explosives. Zaine and the others were long gone. They and the angels were on their way with our army to where Union set up camp, in an abandoned apartment building three cities over. The first van was set to blow up their defences, then my van was supposed to be for the injured. There was a few other healers in the van with me and it was our job to help make sure we didn't lose too many lives.

What was supposed to happen was simple. The van of explosives would detonate and we'd be swarming the building from all angles. The driver of the second van would be out and safe, so there was no worries there. We'd lure the Vega brothers out as we took out their strongest men. Gabriel would locate my parents and the angels would hold them in custody until we could hand them over to the Supreme mythical court, who had big plans for them. Zaine and his team would exterminate Pierce and Bane and by then, we would have taken down most of their forces so the survivors would have no choice but to surrender.

All I had to worry about was healing, so I was told. I just had a nagging feeling. I always trusted instinct, but the circumstances were different. It was just my nerves jumping about.

We were about a block away when the explosives went off. The van rocked and a I could see a cloud of black smoke in the distance. I wasn't sure about anything, in fact I couldn't stop shaking my leg. I felt like something went wrong. I don't know how, or why. But I, for some reason, kept quiet.

Suddenly, my van took a sharp u-turn. I fell into the woman beside me and we all slid and bumped into each other.

"Hold on back there, just got a call saying that the building was empty. We had eyes on them since-" The driver began to explain what was going on, until he was cut off by audibly loud screaming over the phone. I could hear it from where I was. "Oh shit. We've been ambushed."

I stood up from my spot in the back and rushed past the others to the front. "What are you talking about?" I exclaimed. The driver sent a glance at me then back to the road. He was trying to focus on the call and the road ahead of him. I was trying to hear what was being said over the chaos of the others in the back, seeming to panic at the change of plan.

"Union somehow knew we'd been there. Our first line defenders have been taken out and now it sounds like they took the upper hand." The driver gripped the wheel harder. His orange hair seemed to flame up as he spoke and his skinny arms grew thicker.

Suddenly, the van was thrown into the air. I didn't realize it at first, but suddenly I no longer saw the road and all I could see was the blue sky. Gravity pulled me and the others backwards quickly. I hit into the metal wall and I was disoriented.

The van suddenly dropped from the air with a rushing thud. We all bounced slightly and I felt nauseas. "What the fuck was that?" One of the healers mumbled. I stood up ad grabbed the phone from the stunned drivers hands. But then I saw that he wasn't stunned. He had a bullet through his head. He was dead.