Chapter 4

I was floating through the darkness. Pierce was gone and I was alone. I could only stare into the emptiness that consumed me and surrounded me.

Then I felt the hands. All of the hundreds of hands pulling at me, dragging me farther down into the abyss. I couldn't scream or fight back. I was paralyzed in my own mind. The hands surrounded me and covered me. I don't know how long it had been or why it was even happening. I knew nothing.

But I felt a strong pull, it was dragging me away from the hands and the darkness. The pull burned me but the pain felt so good comparing to the feeling of nothing. The black became a grey that was fading to white. The shades blended together and the hands were left behind. I was being pulled into the light and brought into something forgiving.

Power surged through my veins and I became alive by the purity of it. It was beautiful and perfect and I needed more. I felt alive like I never had before.

Then it was gone. I felt my skin tingle and I felt my hands and my feet and everything. My senses came back to me and I had control again.

Then the sweet taste of air filled my lungs. It was my first breath all over again. My eye lids tugged open and what I saw was a lot different the the darkness and light. I saw faces and forms and colors. But I also saw the most gorgeous creature on the face of the earth. He had brought me away from the hands. I knew it as I stared into his golden eyes. I felt his power and his light.

More faces stared at me as if they were expecting something. They murmured things I couldn't understand. Then the golden man stood and spoke something to someone. I couldn't understand any of it through the fogginess. It was like a blanket over my reality that was keeping me from understanding.

My savior took his warm hands away and turned away. A whimper escaped my lips though I didn't understand why. He turned around with a confused look, I understood that much. He put a hand on my arm and thats when I could close my eyes, knowing that I would be safe from the hands.

I didn't want to see the hands. I didn't want the hands on me.

. . . .

I slept nicely. It was a beautiful, soft sleep and I dreamt of golden light. My eyes fluttered open. I was staring at velvet red. I sat up, pushing myself straight with one arm. I was on a really soft bed and there was large red canopy hanging over me. I smiled a bit as I looked around at the decorated room. I could tell I was in a fancy hotel room.

The last thing I remember was being at the safe house and falling asleep with Atticus after having being asked a billion questions. I was alone in the hotel, Atticus must have brought me here before we could go home or something. Then I remembered Daniel's cold behavior. There must have been a reason for it.

I felt really happy and light for some reason. I couldn't keep a smile off of my face. I looked down to see that my arm was no longer in a sling and my leg felt fine as well. I must have healed during my sleep. I was never that powerful to do all of that healing though. Oh well, I was better and that was relieving.

I had to pee, so I got out of bed and walked towards the bathroom. To my surprise my leg felt as if it were never hurt at all. I even opened what I assumed was the bathroom door with my other hand. My shoulder felt fine. It was indeed the bathroom. The floor was marble and there was an elegant bathtub and very exquisite decorations. I felt like a princess just peeing. As I was washing my hands, I noticed a strange, white almost blue, marking. The mark was a swirled pattern that curled around my fingers. I turned my palm down and the intricate detailed swirls rand down my arm and got thicker and darker. My eyes ran down both of my arms. The swirls were oddly beautiful but they should not be there.