Aftermath

***Logan's Perspective***

"Where's Olivia?" I say, flustered, noticing that she wasn't with us.

"I don't know," Leo spoke urgently, "but we can't wait around. Let's gather up our stuff and go."

"What about Olivia?!" I boomed at Leo, annoyed at him and worried about Olivia.

"We can't stand around and risk everything! Let's go!" Leo screams at me, and Bree covered her ears with her small hands.

"Guys! Stop fighting, we've got to get out! So let's gather up our shit, and then look for Olivia!" Mieke howled, obviously trying to make peace.

"Fine," Leo snarled, and he stomped off passed many empty aisles to get to our little refuge. I angrily grab Bree's arm and follow Leo's lead, and Mieke takes caboose.

There is still piercing gunshots outside, with the odd grunt. There is many ear-rattling screams that cut through my heart like a million tiny daggers; there are a lot of innocent citizens out there that don't deserve this massacre ending. I squeezed my eyes shut for a moment, hoping that none of the people suffering is Olivia. Oh god please don't be Olivia.

I reopen my eyes and trail Leo to our quarters. We don't bother to grab the mats; it's just an extra luxury that'll weigh us down. Leo grabs a purple knapsack with black straps from the back of a mostly emptied shelf and carelessly tosses it to me. Mieke takes an identical bag to mine off the same shelf and begins stuffing non-perishable foods in it, like canned peas, canned soup, and dried cereal off a more stocked shelf on the opposite side of the backpack shelf. I scan the ground for the can opener we used when we ate a couple of times. There is many cans scattered around the whole aisle, and I kick each one in search for the can opener. Bree began to help as well.

I turn to Leo, who has a pure-black backpack with many little pockets and nooks in it. It's a hiking bag. He shoves some straggling knives and forks in the bag, as well as three reusable green-tinted bottles, filled right to the top with clean, refreshing water. I jerk my head to my feet, and luckily, a shiny metal can opener is there. I scoop it off the ground and throw it at Mieke, and it slams into the back of her head.

"Hey!" she scowls, and whirls around. I point at the can opener on the ground quickly and she chuckles as she jams it into her bag.

"Mieke, I think this bag is filled," Leo suggests, and Mieke nods submissively. She zips up the backpack and slings it onto her back, and ties and secures it on herself with a greyish rope. Leo closes his hiking pack and slips it onto his back, and he snaps the buckles together to keep it that way. Just as I grab my pack to fill, the glass of the front of the door shatters abruptly, with bullets whizzing passed my head.

"Run!" Leo hollered, and I instinctively scoop Bree into my arms as Leo, Mieke, and I scamper the opposite way and cover behind the edge of an aisle. Bree started to whimper and I cradle her in my arms.

"Mieke, your gun," I mutter to her, and she gets hit with a sudden realization that she does indeed have a gun. She slips the silver pistol out of the simple leather holster and points it in the direction of the shooters.

She fires off a couple rounds, and she hits one in the neck and he falls down, dead. The air began to get dusty and dirty from all the bullets piercing through the metal shelves. She pulls the trigger one more time before a bullet grazes passed her head and she staggers back. She regains her footing and let out a noise that seemed like a hiss.