Hitting the Target

"I was surprised that you were not with Loki when he came back."  Heimdall said to Sif with his low voice.  Unlike she, he knew exactly what had happened.  But, he hated Loki with a passion and would do anything to get his sister away from him.

"Do not speak his name in my presence, brother.  He is a liar, a traitor, and a cheat.  I wish not to ever see his face again."  She hissed, throwing her shoes to the ground and rubbing her ankles as she sat.  Heimdall raised an eyebrow, holding back a victorious shout.

"If that is what you desire, dear sister."

"I can not believe I even trusted him!  A foul monster like he!  It is a disgrace to my name, to my honor!"  She ranted, throwing her hands up in exasperation.  "Oh how he infuriates me, that good for nothing bildgesnipe of a man!"

The gatekeeper just nodded, listening to her screams with a hint of satisfaction.  One more person to hate Loki was another person he had no need to worry about.  He always feared the god making an alliance and destroying Asgard.  

"And what is worse is that I left my bag and clothes in his bedroom!"  She shouted, face-palming herself.

"You forgot your wardrobe inside his chambers?"  He gives her a suspicious look but doesn't move.

"Do not make such repulsive assumptions!  I had nowhere to go and he offered me a room- that is all!"  She replies with a scowl, shaking her head.  "I remember not a time where I was plagued with such a headache."

"You better go retrieve your things, you may stay here for the night."  He ignores the rest of her complaints as she stumbles outside towards Loki's house.  Her head is feeling a bit buzzed after her alcohol consumption but not enough to be fully drunk.

  It's a long walk alone, and the sky is fairly dark.  She is only armed with her neck knife but she feels much safer now that she is in Asgard.  "For Odin's sake!"  She mumbles aloud, rubbing her temples.  The awful mood she is in only worsens her migraine, she is almost thankful for the lack of light.

Eventually, she makes it to Loki's room and is pleased to see her stuff resting outside the door with a note folded up.  She crumbles up the letter without a second glance, stuffing it in her bag and beginning her journey to the back to the Bifrost.

She is feeling a bit more optimistic considering she didn't have to even speak with Loki, the walk alone was worth it.  Yet, the whole walk back she feels more empty than ever, like a large piece of her was missing.  Loki was the piece she had missed her entire life and hadn't realized it until now.  Now, she knew that the piece was gone and it caused her great grief.

But, the betrayal was enough to push him from her life forever, no matter what suffering it would cause her.  She would not let a man control her lifestyle, not now and not ever.

*********************************

Loki had awoken from yet another nightmare about Sif, this one being the worst.  She had gotten lost in Earth and been harmed by a mortal after he left.  He remembered hearing her screams and having that pull him from his slumber.  The god was a mess, his hair in a jumble and he had bags under his eyes.

Knowing he wasn't able to sleep, he did what he thought Sif would want if she returned on her own, he gathered her things and laid them outside.  He knew confronting him now would not be an option, she wasn't ready for that.  And frankly, neither was Loki.  He was positive that he had become number one on her 'to kill' list, and he was pretty sure she had one.

Unable to sleep, he grabbed a piece of paper and a pen and spilled his heart out on it.  He didn't hold back his feelings towards Sif and wrote exactly what he felt.  He told her everything that happened, from the most joyous moment of the night to when everything fell apart and after.  He found himself holding back tears as he scribbled down the words.

He must have rewritten it about four times considering his writing would get too sloppy somewhere in the middle.  Finally, he found it acceptable and folded it carefully, leaving it on top of her bag and returning to his spot on the bed.

*******************************

The two spent the night tossing and turning, both of them troubled by horrific nightmares.  Sif would wake up screaming while Loki would dart up, breathing heavily.  Never had the dreams been this severe, this realistic for either of them.

They longed for eachother's arms, even if Sif wouldn't admit that to herself.  She pushed every thought of him away, replacing it with plans of revenge.  Heimdall had had enough of her fits when she woke up and ended up leaving for parts of the night.

In the morning, Heimdall ordered her to leave.  She couldn't disrupt his sleep because he had a 'very important duty that no other than him could fulfill'.  She left for the arena with a broken heart and a tired body.  

Feeling beaten, she threw knives at a target but kept missing the bullseye by a few inches.  Her mind was distracted from replaying last night in her head constantly.

"Of course you can dance."

Miss.

"Allow me to prove it to yourself that you can, in fact, dance."

Miss.

"Don't be so harsh, Lady Sif.  They are only mortals, not warriors." 

Another miss.

"Sif, this is not what it appears to be!"

This time she hit the spot, directly in the center.  She let herself scream until her throat was raw, the pain was overwhelming.  She couldn't believe it, the strongest warrior in Asgard had been broken down, and by what?

She had been beaten by the thing she promised she would never do.  She had fallen in love.

___________________________________________________________

Vote and comment if you are enjoying the story!  I would really like to know what you think!!

Thank you!  <3