The Wall

I was asleep when the Wall was properly in sight, riding side saddle with my cheek against Benjens chest. his cloak came around enough to mean I was slightly tucked into it and his arms were like a safe cage to keep me close and on the horse while he held the reins.

He woke me up about fifteen minutes before we arrived at the gates of Castle Black, halting the horse and gently rousing me from sleep with his hand stroking my hair and calling my name quietly. It worked, my eyes opened and I smiled softly up at him.

"Are we there yet?" I asked, voice rough and soft from sleep as he smiled.

"Almost, sweetling. We're about to enter Castle Black, that's why I woke you." he murmured, lacing our fingers together, and I squeezed his hand gently, smiling in response.

"Let's go" I smiled sleepily, shifting slightly. I was confused when I heard more than two horses, and peeked over Benjens shoulder. My horse and another were pulling the cart Jon and Meagan had taken.

"They agreed to lighten our load by taking the cart ahead to the inn." Benjens explained after noting my confused expression. "It has our things, after all"

I nodded, and put it to the back of my mind as we came up to the big doors. Benjen called ahead, and the gate was opened for us to ride through at a calm, sedate pace. Yoren and Jeor Mormont were waiting for us, nodding politely and helping Benjen lift me down from the horse.

"Lady Snow, it is an honour to host Lord Stark's daughter" the Lord Commander smiled, bowing slightly.

"Please, Lord Commander, my name is Becca" I smiled, curtseying lightly in response. "And I assure you, the honour of meeting the protectors of the North is greater"

His eyes crinkled up with pride at my remark, before he looked to Benjen. The two men had a brief welcoming hug before my attention was distracted by Yoren tugging me into a brief one armed hug. "Fancy a tour?" he offered, and I nodded with a soft smile, stepping away from Benjen and Jeor as he led me to the main courtyard where several men were sparring. They were scraggly, mainly, and all seemed to be deliberately picking on a fat boy about my own age, even going so far as to hit him with swords, deliberately trying to make him squeal and cry, despite how much he cried that he yielded.

"Who is that?" I asked Yoren, and he shrugged. "Is name is Samwell Tarly, if I remember rightly. Poor lad, shouldn't have joined the Watch" he sighed, shaking his head. Angry at the blatant bullying going on, I strode down the steps despite Yoren trying to stop me, snatched up Samwell's abandoned sword, and struck it hard against the next attempted blow to his ribs. There were several surprised mutters as I stood protectively in front of the cowering man, wielding the sword with intent to use it.

"Come on! Have a shot!" I shouted just as Benjen and Jeor appeared up on the railings, Benjen worried, Jeor more interested.

"Get out the way, girlie, men are busy" a rather unwashed man growled from in front of me, and I responded by stepping forward and bringing the sword towards him hard. He stepped back in surprise, yelping and dropping his blade when my sword rapped him sharply on the knuckles.

"Hush now, little boy, the grownups are busy" I retorted, before turning to the others.

"Would anyone else like to try? I'm sure I'm a better target than someone lying on the ground shouting yeild" I spat.

Nobody responded, and I relaxed, lowering my blade. "This is the Nights Watch. I am aware many of you are convicts and rapists, but do try to have some semblance of honour" I snapped, before turning and crouching next to Samwell in the stunned silence.

"You 'eard the girl! Go wash up y' miserable sons of whores!" Yoren shouted, and the men walked away grumbling. I was busy gently investigating Samwell for wound, hushing his sniffles. "Hello Samwell" I smiled comfortingly. "Sam" he mumbled softly as he got into a sitting position.