The Journey Part Four

A/N Hello my lovelies! Still here? This is the last chapterception of the journey to the Wall, and of course things happen. Because things always happen. Because Becca just can't sit still and be a proper lady... *sighs* I'm terribly sorry this is so short, but I reckon if I just get it up and out there, I can get some feedback and be inspired to keep going on this fic :)

We parted ways with Meagan and Jon, after Meagan recieved word that her father was very ill. Leaving the mauled body of Ser Gregory Quinn in a ditch behind us, Benjen and I continued our journey north to the Wall. The first day I was quiet, and Benjen noticed.

"What's troubling you, sweetling?" he asked that night, coming to sit beside me in front of the fire, wrapping an arm around my shoulders. 

"I'm just thinking" I replied quietly, resting my head on his shoulder as I looked into the flames.  

"About?" 

"Shadow protecting you" 

I heard him sigh.  

"You feel bad about the man's death?" he asked, and I shook my head. 

"On the contrary. I don't feel upset at all. I feel upset for not feeling upset" I frowned, and felt him shift, lying down and pulling me to lie alongside him. I curled into him. 

"It's alright to feel that way, sparrow" he said quietly, stroking my hair.

As we slowly fell asleep, I let myself believe him. 

__________

"Please tell me there's somewhere nice to sit on the Wall" 

"Why?" Benjen chuckled as he rode alongside me. 

"Because horses get very uncomfortable very easily" I stated, and felt my mare whicker softly. 

"Sorry girl." I laughed, and saw Benjen smile. 

"There's plenty of nice places to sit" he reassured me, and I nodded.

We rode quietly for a few more hours, and I felt myself feel iller with every passing mile. Eventually it got too much, and I slowed my horse, blinking to try and dispel the dizziness. Shadows started sniffing at my stirrupped foot.

"Becca, you all right?" I heard Benjen say concernedly, and looked at him. His face was blurring, my vision was swimming. I dazedly managed to shake my head no, before everything went topsy turvy, and I felt myself slide from the saddle and hit the cold earth. The last thing I heard was Shadow barking and Benjen yelling my name as he climbed from his own saddle.  

__________

I came to slowly, groggily, blinking my eyes sleepily as I noticed the campfire in front of me. I was lying on my side, so the flames were confusing for a moment. I tried to sit up just as Benjen entered the clearing carrying an armful of firewood. He deposited the wood by the fire, rushing to kneel next to me.

"Easy, sweetling. We don't want you having another turn, do we?" he said, taking my hand and helping me slowly rise to a sitting position, leaning against him.

"Benjen..." I murmured, watching our entwined hands.  

"What happened?"

"You fell from your horse. Shadow was going half mad" he said quietly. I tried to brush my hair out of my eyes with my hand, but my movements were still uncoordinated. He did it himself, gently stroking his fingers through my hair, and tying it up in a ponytail at the back of my neck.

"Thank you" I said, my mouth dry, and felt him press a gentle kiss to my neck in response.

"When do we start riding again?" I asked, managing to shift so I curled against his chest.  

"In the morning. If you feel strong enough" 

"This is gonna delay us, isn't it?" 

"Not your fault, love"

I looked up at him. 

"Do you want me to tell you the next time I feel ill?" I asked, and he shrugged. 

"It won't matter. You're sharing a horse with me" he said gruffly.  

"That's not nece-" 

"You could have been hurt worse, Becca. That was a big fall, you could have broken an arm, a leg..." his voice went quiet. 

"Your neck" he whispered.

He made a good point. I nodded, and curled back against him, my ear against his chest, listening to the thump of his heartbeat. I don't remember falling asleep, it was that calming.

We set off the next day, me riding in front of him while he sat behind me. He led my mare with a rope attached to her reins, and we rode like that for a few hours. We changed horses, and continued for another few hours. We changed over three times, and it was just getting dark as we came to the last Inn until the Wall. We tied up the horses, and went in. I leaned slightly on Benjen's arm as we walked.

The landlord was pleasant enough, and offered us food, drink and entertainment, but all I wanted to do at that point was sleep, so Benjen helped me climb the stairs to our room.

Sinking onto the bed, I would have fallen asleep instantly were it not for Benjen kneeling by the bed and taking my hand. I raised an eyebrow.

"What's wrong, love?" I asked, turning on my side and reaching to stroke his cheek with my free hand.

"I've been thinking..." he began

"Oh dear." I joked, trying to lighten the mood. He ignored me, and continued.

"You could die, at any time. Today, tomorrow, in a year. Even tonight, as you sleep in my arms"

"So could you"

"That's not my point, Becca. My point is, I don't want you to die without knowing how much I care for you. Of course, that's difficult with my vows in place."

I nodded slowly. Where in the seven hells was he going with this? It was then he shifted to one knee, and pulled out a small bundle of cloth from under his cloak. As he unwrapped it, he revealed a small, silver band, Northern in design. Exactly like the one from my dream with Bran.

"Becca, I am not going to ask you to marry me. Instead, with this ring I will make you a promise. I promise I will find a way, any way possible, to find a loophole or an exception to my vows. And that will be the day I ask you to marry me. Will you accept my promise?" he asked softly, watching him.

I felt tears prick at my eyes, and my hands were shaking as I reached to touch his cheek again.

"Of course, you fool." I whispered through the happy tears. His expression lit up with joy, and he leant forwards to kiss me lovingly. He climbed up onto the bed with me, and we lay together under the covers, my head resting on his chest. We were both so tired, we both remained fully clothed.

---

As we started out again that morning with a small gift of cooked meat and potatoes from the inkeeper to feed us on the way, I felt better than I had the day before. It helped that everytime I looked at my right hand I felt a wave of fresh joy at the ring there. We had decided not to put the ring on my wedding finger of my left hand, but rather the same finger on my right one. If anyone were to see it it would just be considered a pretty trinket worn by some northern girl.

"How long until the wall?" I asked quietly, my hands folded over is where the held the reins. He chuckled softly. "The very minute we are through this forest, it is only another three hour's journey" he promised with a soft kiss to my hair, and I smiled softly.

---

True to his word, we arrived at Castle Black four hours later, and were greeted by Maester Aemon and Ser Jeor the moment we arrived, and were bought to our rooms, Benjen to his usual quarters, and mine about a ten minute walk away. Ser Jeor, however, took one look at my state of fatigue, and firmly told me I wasn't going anywhere until I was looking stronger. I agreed with a smile, and went to sleep almost the minute my head hit the pilow.