The King Visits

I woke up early that morning, somewhat excited. Not only was the King and his family visiting, but Maester Luwin had given me a medicine the night before which left me feeling stronger than usual.

Opening my eyes, I looked to the seat next to my bed to see poor Jon asleep in it. I smiled lightly. The daftie hadn't even gone to his own room last night after reading to me again. I had had a fit while everyone was attending the execution of a deserter, and Shadow had ran to find Jon, and tugged at his sleeve whining until he'd figured it out and come running. It wasn't just Jon who had come running though.

Turning my head to the other side, I saw my 'Uncle' Benjen Stark, who was visiting, also deeply asleep. Managing to get myself to the edge of the bed, I picked up my walking sticks. With some effort I heaved myself up to stand, then to shakily cross the small distance.

I'd die if anyone knew, but I had an incredible crush towards my adoptive uncle, repressing a blush as I brushed his long dark hair from his sleeping features. I liked his hair. It was longer than most other men I knew, and it hung down his back and shoulders handsomely, framing his gentle yet warriorish face. I gave his cheek the gentlest of caresses before reaching to his shoulder and shaking him awake.

He woke almost instantly, his time at the Wall honing and sharpening his reflexes to the point where he grabbed my wrist and reaching for the small blade he always kept on his person. I jamp slightly, before placing my free hand over the one clenched around my slender wrist. He looked up at me, and recognition appeared, causing him to stand up, dropping my wrist instantly. A good thing too, as my fingertips had started going numb.

"Sweetling, why are you up? You should be resting. Your fit was worse than usual last night" he asked in his usual rough, low voice. Worry was crisscrossing his handsome features. I laughed in spite of my racing heart, though whether it was nerves or the sudden shock of his 'attack', I wasn't sure. "The King visits today, Uncle. What better occasion is there to stretch my legs? And mother will most likely need someone to help tend the children while she busies herself with arranging our guest's stay."

He smiled, shaking his head, and gently cupped the side of my face with a rough hand.

"You're too unselfish, little one. You ought to put others needs aside, especially given your condition." he whispered gently, worry still in his eyes.

I patted his hand again, attempting to reassure him. To be perfectly honest having his face so close to mine, his lips within kissing distance, was proving incredibly distracting. My stomach was turning somersaults as I smiled at him.

"I will be fine. I swear. And if I feel weak, or have a fit, I swear by the Seven I will return to bed."

That seemed to please him as he kissed my forehead and stepped back.

I turned around to see Jon stirring awake. "Right, now you're awake too, off with you both. Shoo! Can a lady not dress in peace?" I chastised lightly, and shooed them both out. A blush appeared on my pale skin as I remembered the rough heat of Benjen's hand on my cheek, and the softness of his lips on my brow. No, Becca, he's your uncle! I mentally chastised myself, and continued with my business.

_______

Shadow padded alongside me as I slowly walked along the castle corridor and to the entrance of the courtyard, pausing and leaning against the wall to regain my breath. Shadow looked up at me and nuzzled my hand gently. Smiling I petted my beloved direwolf's dark head, scratching behind his ears until his delicate whine turned to a happy, comfortable growl, almost like a purr. His ears pricked up and I turned to see Uncle Benjen approach. He looked at me, before smiling and wordlessly offering his leather clad arm. I took it gratefully and we walked steadily towards our family, who were standing tall and ready for the royal arrival.