The Journey - Part Two

I walked in silence back to the cart, where Benjen and Arya were unclipping the horses while Jon and Meagan set up a small place for us to eat. I sat down next to the blanket, and Arya came and sat herself in my crossed legs. I wrapped one arm around her while reaching for the bread, and Shadow, Nymeria and Ghost hopped off the cart, stretching lightly. Shadow came over and sniffed at the bread, before wrinkling her nose, nuzzling me gently, and trotting off into the woods with her brother and sister. Meagan was just hanging their sitting blanket on a tree branch when a crossbow bolt came whooshing through the air, thunking into the branch next to her hand. She didn't scream, just practically jamp out of her skin. We all turned to where a young squire was sat, his mouth in a perfect O of shock.

I was ready to walk over and scold the boy, but Jon beat me to it. He stormed over, grabbing the front of the boy's clothes and lifting him, slamming him against the tree.

"What was that?" he hissed furiously. I don't think he'd ever been so angry. The poor squire was terrified.

"A-a-an accident, m'lord!" he stammered, dropping the crossbow to the ground.

"What kind of fool plays around with a loaded crossbow?!" he snarled.

"Jon. It was an accident! Let the poor boy alone..." I ordered him. He looked over his shoulder at me, before nodding.

"If you ever shoot at her again, I will break your arms and lodge an arrow in every body part you hold dear" he growled. The boy nodded, and he dropped him to the ground.

"Is there any reason why you just attacked my squire?" an annoyingly nasal voice called. We all turned to see no other than Ser Gregory Quinn walking towards us.

"That depends. Is there any reason your squire can't hold a crossbow without firing at my lady?" Jon replied. Gregory looked at me, and I felt my skin crawl.

"Your lady? Don't get me wrong, mate, she's a lovely piece of ass, but hardly worth getting into a fight over" he drawled. I could almost feel Benjen freeze where he was walking up behind me.

"I'm his sister. He meant Lady Meagan" I said calmly, rising to my feet.

"Speak when you're spoken to, woman" the knight snorted.

"Don't talk to her like that" Benjen growled.

"Or what, Crow? You'll teach me a lesson?"

"I might."

"No, Benjen, let me do it" I interrupted. Everyone's eyebrows shot upwards.

"Ser Gregory Quinn" I called out loudly and clearly. The entire camp stopped what they were doing, turning to look.

"You have been rude, and dishonourable towards me. For that reason, I, Lady Rebecca Stark, challenge you to duel."

Instantly the camp started chattering, and I saw Robert grin at me. Benjen wasn't so sure, however.

"Becca, are you mad?" he murmured to me, standing in front of me.

"No. And it doesn't matter. Challenge must be answered I replied. His face paled.

"You could die, Becca" he murmured. I patted his hand.

"Or I could win" I reassured him, and stepped around, facing the knight in question, who stood in surprise.

"Well, Ser Gregory?"

"Fuck it, its an easy win..." he muttered, drawing his sword. I turned slightly, grasping the hilt of Benjen's sword and drawing it from the sheath before he could argue. Hidden from sight, I kissed my fingers, pressing them to his chest. He nodded, and I turned to face my rival.

I grabbed two leather laces from Arya when she offered them, tying my hair up with one, and using the other as a crude belt to hike up my skirts halfway up my shin so I could move better. We circled each other for a few long minutes, before he attacked, swinging his sword in a ridiculously fancy way before swinging it my way. I leaned backwards quickly. bringing up Benjen's sword to parry the blow. I stepped forward quickly, swinging my l sword in an upwards arc towards under his arm. He parried that blow easily, a move so aggressive I had to spin around to save my balance. I swung my sword with the spin, aiming for his chest, and he just managed to block it. Alright, I thought. Time to see how fast he was. I started moving my swords in quick, frenzied attacks. The trick was to pay attention to my footwork, and keep my sword in motion.

This method seemed to have more effect. I loved Benjen's sword because it was slightly lighter than most, perfect for this sort of tactic. Quinn's sword, however, was made for show it seemed. It had a thick hilt, with a lion's head engraved on the top, and was set with some sort of thick stone. It made it that much more difficult for him to block my myriad of jabs, swings and blows. Several were beginning to land, and he was being forced backwards, away from my blows. Time for the kicker. With a two handed grip, I swung my sword while he was just regaining his balance, knocking his sword back so I could plant a solid kick on his chest that sent him tumbling onto his back at the King's feey and letting go of his sword. I kicked it away, and pressed the tip of Benjen's sword to his throat.

"Your Grace? Have I bested this so called knight in accordance of the rules of a duel?" I asked loudly. Robert chuckled.

"You have indeed, Becca" he said, passing me the box over Quinn's trembling body. I removed the sword, curtseyed, and turned, walking away and back to Benjen. I glanced at him, then the woods, then him again. He nodded, taking his sword and heading out into the woods to collect firewood. Jon grabbed me first, pulling me into a solid bear hug that sort of screamed 'you do that again and i'l have a heartattack!"!!!'. I hugged back, smiling, before whispering cheekily in his ear.

"You know, it'd be easier to tell which of me and Meagan is your Lady if you put a ring on her finger"

Without him noticing, I managed to slip a small gold band into the glove in his pocket as a subtle hint, before pulling away, and hugging Meagan.

"I'm going to collect firewood with Benjen" I told them, before walking into the woods while everyone crowded around Ser Gregory Quinn.

-----

I found him in a clearing, leaning against a tree with one eyebrow raised and his arms crossed. I paused for a second, before partially opening my arms in a questioning gesture. He rolled his eyes, before smiling slightly, nodding, and opening his own arms. I practically ran across the clearing and into his warm arms, burying my head in his neck. The adrenaline was fading fast from my body, and my legs felt weak. I felt him reach up with one hand to rest it on the back of my head to hold me to him as he pressed a kiss to my hair.

"Seven Hells..." I murmured, and I felt his chest rumble as he chuckled.

"I warned you it was a bad plan"

"Yeah, yeah, I get it, you know everything" I muttered, and felt him laugh. I tilted my head upwards, pressing my lips to his. He returned the kiss, and we remained in each other's arms for a long five minutes, before parting, grabbing a few branches. Benjen hacked them up, and we returned to the camp with an armful of logs each.

As we walked up to where the others were sitting, I saw Lord Martell smiling, clapping his hand on Jon's shoulder, and Jon looking relieved. He then strode over to Meagan, and-

SEVEN HELLS!

Meagan's eyebrows shot into her hairline as Jon got onto one knee, pulled the ring out his glove, and proclaimed loudly so the full camp could hear.

"My Lady Meagan. Will you be my wife?"