50. Voting and Verdicts

I'm back in my sinking cell. The guards gave me a thorough search after I grabbed Cassy. I think they assumed I tried to steal something from her. At least they didn't guess I gave her something, I gave her an order.

I'm exhausted. I didn't sleep well last night and I'm really starting to feel the effects. I lean against the filthy wall. I need something to help me keep my head propped upright. I need to stay awake, I'm expecting an important visitor.

I'm a little concerned about the vote tomorrow, I need to make sure it goes my way. This visitor is going to make sure that it does.

I close my eyes and wait. The waiting is the worst. I have nothing to do to pass the time. I've already counted the number of bars, the number of bricks in the ceiling, the loose threads in my dress. I'm bored.

I'm woken by a clang of something striking the bars of my cell. I must have fallen asleep against the wall. I peel open my eyes and they adjust to the dim lighting. Nate.

He doesn't say anything for a long time, he just stares at me. I don't think he knows why he is here. I don't think he knows what he wants to say.

I don't know what he's going to say either. He was not the visitor I was expecting. Nate looks tired, he's probably not sleeping any better than I am.

"What's really going on? I know it's more than you're telling everyone," he grips the bars, I notice he's wearing gloves. "Did Marie put you up to this?"

"You need to let me go," I implore him. I need him to let go, it would be easier for him if he could. I think this is the first time I've ever wanted him to love me less.

His leather gloves creak in protest as he tightens his grip. "Don't tell me what I need," he closes his eyes in frustration, when he opens them, they are set with determination,"I need to know the truth."

I meet his gaze evenly, "I've said everything I wanted to say."

He slams one of his fists against the bars before taking a step back and running a gloved hand through his hair. He leans back on the opposite wall and his expression shutters, "We could have been happy."

"We were a lie," I whisper. It hurts because it is true. I lied to him all the time, I deceived him, I manipulated him. This is the closest I've come to the truth.

Nate pushes away from the wall and stalks off in anger. I watch his retreating form for as long as I can, I feel like the worst person in the world.

I know I'm hurting him so much. I know it's only going to get worse. This is for the best, I remind myself. I go back to counting things, it's easier than thinking about the mess I'm creating.

It's not long before the visitor I've been waiting for arrives. She strides down the passageway with elegant footsteps before stopping directly in front of me.

"Marie told me you would come to see me," I say from my seat on the floor.  It's a complete lie, I saw she would come myself.

"I don't know how you did it, but you lied today," Laurelle is all business as she speaks, "I watched your aura, the only thing that was clear was that you are hopelessly in love with my son."

"I do love him," I mutter looking away from her. If her gift of aura reading is strong enough for a seat, then she has probably known for some time how I feel.

"What are you doing?" she questions directly.

"Do you love your son?" I respond with my own question for her.

She gives me a long look, she's probably deciding if she wants to indulge me in this change of subject. "Of course," she replies

"What would you sacrifice to ensure he is safe?" I level her with a serious look. I want her to think honestly about her answer.