43. Searches and Stealing

Thank you to all my wonderful readers, Hunting Royalty has made it into the top 100 ranking for Fantasy.  Thank you for all your votes and comments they all mean so much to me.  As a special thank you I'll be doing another double update today.  You guys rock!!

"What does one wear to a casual meeting with the king?" I wonder aloud.

"Maybe this one?" Elise holds up another dress, this time a pastel day dress. I shake my head; I need to look more authoritative not meek. She throws it on top of my growing discard pile and heads back into the wardrobe to look for another.

She comes back with a black dress and I shake my head again, "I'm not going to a funeral." She tosses it straight onto the pile and stomps back into the closet. I think she is annoyed at my behavior.

"This is the dress, no arguments," she tosses an emerald green dress at me, "I don't know why you haven't worn it yet, this color is very in this season. I swear when you asked me to look for green dresses, I found one in almost every girls wardrobe." She tosses it over my head and pulls it down into place before going around to lace up the back.

"You're bossy today," I remark wincing as she pulls the laces extra tight.

"There was ash all over your carpet by the fireplace, it took me forever to get it all out. It's odd because it's not cool enough yet to light fires."

"I think Katana was playing around in it," I lie with the first thing that comes into my head.  

"Hmph," I think she is remembering her promise to never clean up after my kitten. "Go before you're late," she pushes me towards the door slipping a portal charm into my hand.

"Really bossy," I mutter under my breath. I cast the portal and step out in the courtyard in front of the main entrance to the palace. Portals into the palace are monitored. I take a few moments to admire the building. It really is beautiful. It stretches towards the sky ending in elegantly pointed towers. It looks almost like glittering yellow walls but on closer inspection it is large white bricks intricately carved and highlighted with a gold inlay. I can only marvel at the amount of time and effort it would have taken, even with the help of magic.

"This way please, the king is expecting you," a young man pulls me from my examination, I assume he is the king's personal secretary or something similar. He leads me through the hallways to the king's private study. The secretary knocks on the door and announces my arrival before stepping back and out of the way. I hear a muted reply and reach for the handle only to be blocked by a royal guard.

"Spread your arms and legs apart," the guard informs me in a gruff and rather intimidating tone.

"Excuse me?" I say shocked. What kind of request is that? I feel a pair of strong hands grip both of my arms and lift them away from my body, holding them straight out from my shoulders. I feel his foot kick the inside of my ankle forcefully. Taking the hint, I separate my legs too.

The guard in front of me circles his hands around my wrist and squeezes slightly before moving his way up my arm, he repeats the process on my other arm and I'm pleased that my bracelet remains unnoticed.

He moves his attention to my chest, he doesn't touch my breast directly but he presses between them and underneath them. I try not to shrink back from his touch but its reflexive, this feels so invasive. He makes quick work of checking down my stomach and sides and crouches down at my feet.

His hands start squeezing their way up my calves, it doesn't take him long to find my dagger. He lifts my skirts and withdraws it from the holster and passes it to the other guard before resuming his search. He gets a little high on the inseam of my thighs and I hiss out a breath at him. I think he realizes I'm more than willing to part him from his hand if he continues because he releases me and steps back.