Chapter 20

Hey everyone I know it's been a while but here is the next chapter. Sorry it's short but I have been busy with school work and life has been really hectic recently. Anyway vote comment and fan please!

There's maybe 4 or 5 more chapters left of this and then it's finished!! WOOP!!!!

Have a nice day and enjoy! :D x

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ 

Dalton’s P.O.V

We had been walking for hours and there was still no trace of her. Where could she be?

Her father has had a peculiar look on his face for a while now but he gives off an aura that you shouldn’t ask him questions so I haven’t asked him what is bugging him. For all I know he has a stone in his shoe or something.

Astrix has not tried to call out to us again. Maybe she has given up on us finding her. But even though that doesn’t sound like anything that Astrix would be likely to do it was better than the other option that kept whispering around in my head. What if she couldn’t contact us anymore? What if she was… dead?

I shook my head to remove the thought from my mind. No, Astrix is not dead. I would have felt it. The thought gave me more strength to continue walking even though the path looked never ending. Trees loomed from all around us. We constantly had to chop down branches that were blocking our path or use our magic to levitate heavy logs out of our way.

We hadn’t spoken a word to each other after our conversation earlier. Both of us were listening out for traps or sounds that could lead us to where they had taken Astrix.

Two more hours past and I was almost at my breaking point. The silence was unbearable. I would give anything to hear Astrix screaming down the phone at something outrageous her friend had said or to hear her laugh at my tidying skills. I wanted her back with all of my being. My soul yearned to be near her.

Just as I was about to scream out in frustration a hand pressed down over my mouth. I was about to attack when I saw it was Astrix’s father and he was signalling for me to be quiet and pointing to the left of the path we had been taking.

I stopped moving to listen but after a few minutes of hearing nothing but our hushed breathing I was about to turn around and tell Astrix’s father that he was getting on a bit and to get his hearing tested when I too heard what had made him stop. A few feet back in the trees I could hear quiet feet fall. They were moving quickly in our direction.

The fairy prince vanished in a blink of the eye without a word to me on where he was going. So I was going at this alone was I? I silently jumped behind a thick tree so that they would not see my figure and drew my knife. I could take on two weres easily but we needed them alive to give us information.

The footsteps got louder as they walked closer to where I was hidden. They were two trees away from where I was when I decided to show myself and attack. I rounded the trees with my knife held out in front of me aimed at chest height where it could inflict the most damage that would not be fatal… but I had to stop.

I could not attack these people.

There was an elderly lady and a young boy standing in front of me. Both with looks of terror on their faces. The old lady was pushing forcefully on the small boys’ shoulders, shoving him behind her and out of my sight. They were both covered in mud and wearing rags. They did not look like they had been well cared for in months.

I lowered my knife but did not put it away completely. Looks could be deceiving and I did not know these people. A flash of light appeared behind the two people and there stood Astrix’s father. We had them surrounded, but I did not know how to proceed. I had been expecting men, werewolf fighters. Not an old lady and a small boy.

The adrenaline that had been pumping around my body at the thought of being able to harm one of the werewolves that had my Astrix began to recede and I began to hear what the elderly woman was saying. She was apologising over and over again in a small voice and asking for me to forgive her grandson as he had nothing to do with them running away. The little boy was trying to release his grandmother’s grip and was looking at me with a determined look. He was trying to protect his grandmother.

How could these two people be dangerous? I placed my sword back in its holder and stood there waiting for her to stop crying. When the tears had finally ran out and she was able to look me in the face she gasped. Did I have something on my face?

She softly sniffed the air and a look of shocked crossed her face. ‘You’re not a Were. You won’t harm us will you?’ she asked in a slightly louder voice.

I was about to shake my head when Astrix’s father yelled at me ‘Dalton what the hell do you think you are doing? You don’t know these people! They could have been the ones to take Astrix. Am I paired with an imbecile?’ I don’t think I was supposed to hear the last bit as it was rather insulting, or maybe I was supposed to hear it as he did seem rather angry. His hair was moving in the non-existent wind and his eyes had changed to a silver colour.

‘Dalton? Astrix’s Dalton?’ the old lady asked me. I was not shocked that she had called me by my name as it had just been spoken by Astrix’s father but what did shock me was the look on her face. The look as if she had just been saved from years of pain.

‘You know Astrix?’ I asked her cautiously. The yelling from before had cleared my mind that I was being stupid from thinking she was a harmless old lady who may not harm us.

‘Yes! Yes I know her! She saved us from our pack. They were monsters to us but she made us leave and told us to go and find your house in the clearing in the woods and that you would keep us safe from Alpha Forrester! She told me to take my grandson and leave that place. They would make us work and harm us if we couldn’t we had to leave. Oh he would do such horrible things to us, we all hate him but he would never let us leave but Astrix told us to go…’she spoke quickly but I caught her words. I cut her off.

‘You know where she is? Take us to her now!’ we were going to find Astrix!

A look of fear passed over the old ladies face. Looking closer at her face I could see scars that had faded but were still visible. They did not look too old. She was bent over and looked like she was trying to look as small as possible. Her hair had grown long over her face to try and hide her eyes and her clothes were long and baggy. You could keep a small child hidden in there! I then saw the child she was hiding and realised that was the whole point of the clothes, to hide her grandson.

‘Is there a safe place to keep toby near here? And then I will take you back and help you to save her but please I can’t have Toby harmed again. I already lost his parents and he is all I have left.’

Arethusa, Astrix’s father, finally spoke again. ‘I will send him off with my brethren if that is okay with you? He will be extremely safe there. There is no place safer for him’

The old lady nodded her agreement and Arethusa closed his eyes. Silence fell, nothing moved for a few moments until suddenly a flash of yellow light burst out in front of us. The old lady jumped back and nearly knocked me over when she fell into me. From the light appeared two people, a man and a woman. The woman bowed and spoke in a soft melodious voice ‘A pleasure to meet your acquaintance. Toby we must go now’ she held out her hand and toby reached for it cautiously. When her hand grasped his there was another flash of light and they were gone.

The old lady let out a startled cry and looked around her for any sign of her grandson. She then took in a deep breath and walked toward the way she had come from before. We’re coming to get you Astrix.