Chapter 14

Billy drove around town for a couple of hours in an attempt to calm down after talking to Alex. She went through their conversation in her head over and over again, and she still couldn’t believe Alex had slept with Jesse.

Despite how angry and hurt she was, she couldn’t help wondering if that was how Alex had felt when she’d found out Billy had slept with Jesse. It felt like Thor’s hammer had been placed on her heart, crushing it into bloody smithereens.

Had Jesse rejected her because she had been in love with Alex all along? She asked herself but the answers proved more painful than she could bear. Jesse was the love of her life, the woman every fragment of her being had chosen to love. How could she sleep with Alex when she knew how Billy felt about her?

For Alex to use it as a weapon against Billy was such an act of cruelty, it shocked her. If she had wanted to get back at Billy by hurting her, then they were now even. And Alex was finally getting what she had asked for, termination of their friendship.

When she got back to work, she could not bear to look at Jesse. Alex’s voice kept resounding itself in her head and pissed Billy off every time. She remembered how hurtful it had been to be around Alex back when she had been dating Jesse.

The thought of them together had sickened her. She had never thought she would ever relive those feelings again after how hard and painful it had been, but there she was, with her heart breaking all over again and this time, it was harder because she had lost Alex as well.

Still, imagining all those painful emotions and feelings of hurt had gone through Alex and she’d needed to hurt Billy this much to make her realize the intensity of it made her feel like crap. She had been in an impossible situation. Having lost her best friend and now realizing she had never been close to getting the love of her life back.

She should have ignored her feelings and lived as though Jesse had never existed for her. She shouldn’t have applied any effort at all because it had all been a waste of time. She had to learn this the hard way. An hour later when she was preparing to leave, Jesse approached her but she wasn’t sure she was ready to talk to her just yet. It just hurt too much.

The hardest part was looking at Jesse and trying to keep her own heart from breaking. So when Jesse approached her, Billy considered bolting because she was afraid of what might come out of her mouth. She was always the last to leave Global Designs and at that point, she considered leaving early because she did not want to be around Jesse, at least not until the initial shock wore off.

“Hey Billy, I wanted to know what you thought about Lana’s ideas? I thought they were pretty impressive but I wanted to know your opinion on them,” she said.

“They were good. You should use them,” she said.

“Okay, we’re almost done with the hardest part of the job. In a week or so, Global Designs offices will start taking shape,” she said enthusiastically but Billy was not in the mood to express any sort of joy.

“That’s fine,” she said.

“Are you okay? You seem a bit… off,” Jesse observed.