Chapter 3

“If business continues like this, I think we’ll proceed with our expansion plans sooner rather than later,” Jesse said, placing a hot cup of coffee on the table.

Fred moved over the couch to make room for Jesse. “I couldn’t have chosen a better business partner.”

“I should be excited to come back to the office but the paperwork is not a pleasant thought to look forward to,” Jesse said.

She had spent a couple of days resting but she was already itching to get back out there. Since she had thrown herself so much into her work, her body and mind had adapted to it. She wanted to constantly keep busy.

“Now that you’re back and your schedule won’t be quite as challenging, you should consider getting back out there into the dating pool,” Fred suggested.

“Dating pool?”

She hadn’t thought about dating in a long time. Her last encounter had left her damaged and she did not want anyone to carry that baggage.

“Yeah, you know, meeting new people, going out for meals and movies, having fun away from work.”

She laughed and shook her head. “I don’t think I’m ready for that.”

“You need to forgive yourself for what happened with Alex and Billy. You need to move on.”

“I saw Alex at the airport when I arrived two days ago,” she said.

“You what? Why didn’t you tell me? What happened?” Fred asked, sitting up to face her.

“She was still as sweet as the day I met her.”

“Do you think you still have feelings for her?”

Jesse had asked herself that question countless times and she still couldn’t come up with a plausible answer. “There was something, but it wasn’t strong enough to make my heart pound out of my chest. I just felt uneasy. I think it was because I was surprised to see her after the way we parted ways,” she explained.

“Well then, that’s normal. You were in love with her. It would have been weird if you’d felt nothing.”

“You think so?”

Fred nodded.

“I’ve thought about it, you know. Running into them. I didn’t think it would be so soon, but it is a small town so I knew it was just a matter of time. The thought has always been terrifying. Alex didn’t deserve what Billy and I did to her.”

“Billy should have fought for you before it all got so complicated,” Fred put in.

 Jesse shook her head. “No, I was equally as much a coward. I loved them both and I took advantage of the situation. I never deserved any one of them. They’re better off without me. They must be in relationships now. I hope they’re happy.”

 “And you should be too. You can’t carry this on your shoulders and use it as an excuse to be alone for the rest of your life.”

 “Maybe it’s what I deserve,” Jesse said.

 “No, you’re a wonderful person. You got caught up in a sticky situation. It happens. It shouldn’t be a reason for you to close off your heart.”

 “My heart is not closed off. I just don’t think I will ever meet anyone who will ever make me feel what Alex or Billy made me feel.”

 “You shouldn’t dwell on that.”

 “Unfortunately, now that I’m back, it’s all I can think about.”

 After Fred left a few hours later, Jesse took a drive.