Chapter 6

“I don’t understand why I had to come along. Usually you never need me for appraisal,” Fred complained as the two took the elevator up to the seventeenth floor where Global Designs was located.

 “There’s always a first time,” Jesse said.

 She did not need to explain herself to Fred, but the real reason why she needed him there was because she did not want to be left alone at any point in time during her meeting with Billy.

 “Global Designs is on the seventeenth floor. There is an open area where a receptionist is placed, a large open space with several desks separated by partitions where a few more employees are located, a meeting room and two independent offices, one with a personal assistant outside.”

 She had studied the blueprint of the office all night. The office had been occupied by a different company for years so it was a bit old and worn out. Since Global Designs wanted a fresh new look, Jesse had come up with several ideas on how she was going to transform it into a workplace where employees and clients alike would enjoy working in.

 She was not going to turn it into modern day Google or Facebook offices, but with the budget Global Designs had allocated the project, she could do something substantial with it for the company.

 Inwardly, she was pleased for Billy’s success.

 “We’re here,” Fred said as the elevator doors opened.

 They stepped out and looked around the office in a bit of surprise. There was poor utilization of space and the office looked a bit older than it actually was. Jesse was going to have a lot of work to do, but it was something she was looking forward to.

 She walked over to the reception desk and announced her arrival as she studied the area around her. There were large windows in the office that she could do something creative with. She could already picture the transformation in her mind.

As she was led to the meeting room, she mentally went through her notes. She needed to clearly study the office space before coming up with conceptual development but first thing first, she was here to meet the person she would be working with. When all terms were meet and agreed upon, they would start on management and execution of the designs.

 “Are you nervous?” Fred asked when they took their seats.

 “Why would I be nervous?” She was, but hell if she would show it.

 “Just thought that being here to see your former lover would stir up some feeling of unease,” Fred said.

 His frankness annoyed her. “We’re here to work, Fred. I would appreciate it if you would focus on that,” she said.

 “Jeez, would you relax. You’re so tense. Don’t forget the best part about this whole thing is about having fun with the amazing work you’ll do. That is why you love being on the field so much.”

 Ugh! He was right. She was too tense. She needed to relax and have some fun. Otherwise she’d screw up the project. “I’m sorry, it’s just a little bit weird working for someone I have such intense history with.”  

 “It’ll get easier. Trust me,” he said.

 She relaxed her shoulders right at the same time the door opened and in walked Billy, followed by Lana. Wait, what was Lana doing there? Jesse couldn’t remember Billy ever having mentioned that she worked with Lana. But then again, a lot of time had passed and a lot had changed.

 She met Billy’s gaze and that tension she’d been trying to get rid off took hold and with it, an unexpected shudder of nervousness. She was in Billy’s world now. She did not call the shots there, Billy did. And God, she looked great.