Chapter 11

Jesse was woken up by the sound of people arguing the following morning. She placed a pillow over her head to cover her ears and an unusual feeling traveled through her. She uncovered her head and strained to lazily open her eyes. She looked around the room and was temporarily confused by the unfamiliar surroundings.

A slight dizziness attacked her and the events that had taken place the previous night slowly unfolded. She heard the door slam from the room the arguing had been coming from and sat up on the bed, covering herself up with the bed sheet when she noticed she had slept in her underwear. She should have at least borrowed a t-shirt but she had been too drunk and too tired.

A few minutes later, the bedroom door opened and a yellow Labrador ran in and climbed on the bed, Lana following behind it, dressed in a robe.

“I didn’t meet this cute little fellow last night,” she said, as the dog moved closer to her.

“His name is Thunder. He wasn’t here last night,” Lana said as she got on the bed.

“What’s going on? Was someone here?” she asked.

Lana handed her a bottle of water and exhaled in what seemed like exasperation. “That was Jade. She came to drop by Thunder. She got here about ten minutes ago. She wanted us to talk, but soon as she saw your shoes and the two wine glasses, she jumped into conclusions.”

“Oh, my God! Does she think we slept together?” Jesse asked in surprise.

Lana nodded and said, “I tried to explain but all she was interested in knowing was whether I had someone else in the house with me. When I didn’t answer, she came to the bedroom to check. You were asleep but she didn’t see your face. She just saw your back and your hair.”

Oh shit! She should have borrowed something to sleep in. There was no way Lana could have convinced her that she hadn’t slept with someone else when Jade had walked in and seen for herself what had appeared to be a naked woman blacked out in Lana’s bed.

“I’m so sorry. I just realized I slept in my underwear. I should have borrowed a t-shirt or something.” She was a little confused when Lana laughed. “What? What’s funny?”

“I was so drunk I slept in my underwear too.”

Jesse hadn’t even noticed.

Lana got up and went to her closet and retrieved a t-shirt. “You can wear this,” she said.

Jesse took it, put it on then sat a bit more comfortably on the bed. “Look, I’m sorry. I seem to only bring trouble whenever I come anywhere near your group of friends.”