Chapter 13

Jesse was contemplating turning around and going home when her index finger closed in on the doorbell. She had debated over the idea of going to see Alex in her head and now that she was standing outside the door to her house, she was tempted to cower and head back to her house.

Her conversation with Billy the previous evening had led her to this point. Having rejected Lana’s advice on dating the two women, she had decided that talking to Alex just as she had Billy was the best idea. The thing was, she was afraid of Alex and that fear was starting to take over her.

She pressed the doorbell at once and took a step back, deciding to brave it. She needed to try and put an end to this and the only way to do that was to try and get through to Alex.

Alex opened the door and Jesse held her breath. She was in a tight-fitting top and a pair of blue worn out denim jeans. She seemed surprised to see Jesse on her doorstep, then the surprise turned to delight.

“Jesse, how nice to see you. Would you like to come in?” she asked.

Jesse nodded and walked in as Alex opened the door for her. She stepped in and noticed her house was just as Jesse had left it when they had been dating. Nothing had been moved and nothing was out of place.

“Would you like something to drink?” Alex asked as she headed to the kitchen.

“No, I’m fine,” she said, because she wasn’t planning on staying.

“Take a seat. I’m getting a beer.”

She sat down and went through what she wanted to say in her head. When Alex got back, she came and joined her as she took a sip of her beer, then placed it on the table and turned her attention to Jesse.

“What are you doing here?”

“I came to talk to you about what is happening between you and Billy,” she said.

Alex groaned and got to her feet, taking a few steps away. “What is happening between us is none of your business, Jesse.”

Jesse got up after her and said, “But I’m the reason its happening.”

“Billy is the reason its happening.”

“Alex, what happened was my fault. I caused all of this. I wish you’d take it out on me instead. It would hurt but I can take it. I deserve it.”

Alex walked over to her in such speed a little wind blew past Jesse when she stopped right in front of her. Her gaze was filled with heat and anger. “Billy had a responsibility to me. She took my trust and our years of friendship and flushed them down the toilet. She never deserved you then. She doesn’t deserve you now.”