Chapter 7

Billy slowly ran the back of her hand over her lips trying to hold on a little longer to the kiss, and avoided looking at Alex’s shocked expression because of the self-deprecating thoughts and feelings she would start to experience at hurting her best friend all over again.

 There was a part of her that wanted to run after Jesse, but she had run out like a stray bullet and even if Billy managed to catch up to her, she was sure Jesse would not want anything to do with her. Quite frankly, she was afraid Jesse was completely done with her this time.

 Now, to have to explain this whole thing to her best friend was a challenge she was not looking forward to. She exhaled and turned to face Alex. The astonishment was still creasing her features and Billy had no idea where to begin.

 “What the hell has been going on?” Alex asked.

 Billy bit her lower lip when words failed to form and then she covered her face with both her hands, massaging her temple as she thought of something to say. The fact that her kiss with Jesse was still all she could think about made her feel like a terrible friend.

 “Jesse is doing the remodeling project for Global Designs. What you just saw…” she trailed of, unsure of herself. “It wasn’t meant to happen. We’re just working together,” she finished.

 “Do you remember what happened the last time you lied to me?” Alex asked.

 Billy nodded. How could she forget? She had slept with Alex’s girl.

 “Then how could you let this happen again?”

 Billy was a little confused. “Alex, I’m sorry I didn’t tell you but everything has happened so sudden. This whole thing started yesterday. I did not plan to meet her and I certainly did not mean to-“

 “Kiss her, barely a week after she’s back in town?” Alex interrupted her. “I asked you to go after her when she left and you stayed behind. You asked me to do the same thing and I stayed behind. Now, we’ve never explored our reasons for why we never went after her, but mine is this. I stayed because I knew if I went after her, it would permanently damage our friendship. We were both in love with her.”

 “Were, Alex; past tense. You’re with Alyssa now. Why is this whole thing getting you so upset?” Billy asked, starting to get frustrated.

 Alex paced around her office and when she stopped and faced Billy, it all became too unsettlingly clear. Alex was still in love with Jesse. “I’ve never lied to you, Billy. Maybe its time you stopped lying to me,” she said and headed out of the office.

 “Alex,” Billy tried to stop her, but it was all in vain.

 She cursed herself for losing control with Jesse and hurting her friend in the process. She knew Jesse would not come anywhere near her now, which was probably a good idea. But she didn’t know what to do about Alex.

 “Hey, did I just see Alex walk out of here?” Lana asked, startling Billy out of her thoughts.

 “She walked in on me kissing Jesse,” she said.

 “What?”

 “I was trying to talk Jesse into easing up on me, you know, so that it can be easy for us to work together. Then somewhere along the way, I just found myself hypnotized by her. I just wanted to…” she recalled the moment and replayed it in her head. “Touch her again. She was looking at me the way she used to when we got too close. I couldn’t…” She breathed out loud, pushing the image away. “I couldn’t control myself.”

 “You’re still in love with her,” Lana said.

 Billy scoffed and shook her head, feeling stupid for denying it. “I think so,” she said.