(19) I Want To Do Real Bad Things With You

I Want To Do Real Bad Things With You

Chapter 19

Drake’s POV

The next few days dragged by slowly as I watched Jace in pain. I felt completely helpless and incredibly guilty for leaving him to face the world on his own while I was following my dream, a dream that felt completely irrelevant at the moment. Being a huge football star, winning the scholarship, nothing of it was important anymore. I screwed up big time and Jace is suffering the consequences, now I know that he did this to himself, but he never would have been pushed to this extreme if I hadn’t left.

I was the one who begged him to give me another chance all those months ago. I was the one who promised that I would never hurt him again and look at him now.

“Drake?” I heard his beautiful voice say, snapping me back to reality.

“Yeah, I’m right here,” I whispered softly as I switched on his bedside lamp, the clock reading twenty past two in the morning.

“I was thinking,” Jace stated.

“You were supposed to be sleeping,” I replied, not liking the fact that he was always awake, except for when the medicines they were giving him took affect and knocked him out.

“I’m not tired,” he stated stubbornly but I knew he was lying, the dark circles around his eyes getting darker each day.

“Why won’t you tell me what’s wrong? Why you don’t want to sleep?” I half begged, desperate to help him.

“I’m not tired,” he said again and then looked away, knowing that I knew he was lying.

It was killing me, I had no idea what was going on and he wouldn’t talk to me, at least not about what was bothering him.  I could tell that everything that happened was working on him though, it must be pure torture but for some reason he won’t let me in, he won’t let me help him.

I sighed, took a deep breath and then gently traced his cheek with my finger before cupping his face and turning his head so that he had to look at me. His eyes were dark and filled with emotions I couldn’t quite place.

“What were you thinking?” I asked, desperate for him to talk to me.

“How long have I been in here?” he asked.

“Five days,” I replied, eyeing him carefully.

“Did you contact Coach Carter yet?” he questioned and I immediately knew where the conversation was heading.

“I’m not going back, I’m not leaving you again,” I replied, having made up my mind.

“You have to, you can’t give up everything you’ve worked for,” he stated, still not giving away any of his emotions. He’s been acting all strange since his woken up, nothing like himself. Usually I knew exactly how he felt, he told me everything but now it’s like he doesn’t want to let me in at all.

“I’m not going back, I already let the university know,” I lied, not having even bothered to get a hold of Coach. I know he is going to be really pissed at me but it didn’t matter. He’ll get over it and find somebody to take my place.

“Please don’t give up on your dream because of me,” Jace half begged, sounding kind of desperate.

“It’s already been done and anyway, I’m not giving up on my dream, I merely found a more important one,” I answered honestly.

“That is really sweet but I can’t let you do it, you have to go back. If you won’t do it for yourself, do it for me,” Jace  said, his words tugging at my heartstrings.