(18) I Want To Do Real Bad Things With You

I Want To Do Real Bad Things With You

Chapter 18

Jace’s POV

I could hear Drake arguing with somebody from the other side of my door and felt my stomach flip with worry at his words. What happened to his hand? If he hurt it while playing football he surely would have told me, wouldn’t he?

“Are you alright sweetheart? You’ve gone extremely pale?” My doctor asked as she tilted my head so that I had to look at her. She seemed like a nice lady so I answered her truthfully.

“I don’t know, what happened to Drake’s hand?” I asked, figuring she might know.

“The young man that was in here with you?” she questioned, smiling at me knowingly.

“Yeah.”

“From what I’ve heard he has a bit of a temper and apparently thought punching the vending machine in the lobby would somehow help,” she replied, obviously trying to make light of the subject, probably not wanting to upset me anymore than I already was. It was nice of her but it didn’t help.

“That sound like him. Is it bad?” I questioned, worried that my stupidity has hurt him in more ways than one.

“He’ll be fine as long as he takes care of it,” she replied reassuringly as she wrote something on her clip board.

“How about me?” I asked, needing to know how badly I really screwed up.

“With a lot of rest you’ll be fine too but you almost got your wish,” she answered, the light tone in her voice replaced with seriousness.

“What do you mean?” I asked, the throbbing in my head getting worse again.

“If they didn’t find you when they did you would have been dead,” she answered before turning around and walking away.

My wish. I can’t believe how stupid I was but maybe Drake would have been better off without me. Since I’ve come back into his life I’ve caused him nothing but confusion and pain.

Drake stormed back into my room at that point and I had to put on a brave face. He’s been so good to me and I have to figure out a way to make things up to him. I need to see him happy again.

He sat down on the edge of my bed, ignoring the chair next to it, and took my hand which wasn’t connected to the drip in both of his.

“How are you feeling?” he asked, our playful mood from earlier gone.

“Okay,” I lied as my head throbbed and my body ached.

“I honestly doubt that, you look as pale as a snowman,” he stated, shaking his head.

“As pale as a snow man,” I repeated, shaking my head. “I’ve never heard that one before.”

“It’s true, what did the doctor say?” Drake questioned worriedly.

“She said I’ll be fine, that I nearly died and that you took your anger out on the vending machine,” I answered.

“It was the vending machine or the closest innocent person I could find so I figure I made the right choice,” Drake replied jokingly, obviously trying to make light of the subject since he was now the focus of it.

“How bad is it?” I asked, lifting his hand up so that I could see. It was completely covered in bandage though but I could tell that it was swollen.

“I’ll survive, not sure about the vending machine though,” he answered and I had to laugh.

“That’s better, stop worrying about me and concentrate on getting better,” Drake stated, my laugh causing his eyes to light up and my heart to speed up. I still don’t think he knows how badly he really affects me.

“I’ll stop worrying if you promise to let somebody look at it.”

“You’re looking at it right now,” he chuckled as he leaned forward and gently brushed his lips against mine.

“That’s not funny,” I complained although I knew he was only joking.

“I promise I’ll let somebody look at it, now why don’t you try to get some rest?”

“Okay, will you stay until I fall asleep?” I asked, not wanting to be alone right now.

“That’s a stupid question, I’m never leaving you side again,” Drake replied as he laid down beside me and very gently wrapped one of his arms around me. His close proximity making me relax a bit. Maybe everything will work out after all.

“Thank you and Drake?”

“Yeah?” he asked, his warm breath tickling my neck.

“I love you,” I whispered, needing to make sure he knew.

“I love you too, more than you’ll ever know,” he replied, softly hugging my body to his.