04 // THE MEN IN SUITS

"SO WHO IS THAT in the photo?" Atlas asked as I looked at it for the fourth time while waiting for our food.

"It's private," I muttered and studied the ring. I wanted to know what it said so badly, because maybe it said my mother's name, or a place.

"Everything is private with you," he said and I gave him a confused look.

"You're a stranger, why wouldn't everything be private?" I rose an eyebrow at him.

"Well I'll always be a stranger if you don't let me know anything about you," he shrugged. 

"Mhmm," I hummed. "That's the plan."

"Why don't I start?" He suggested. "I like going for walks in the woods, rain and small dogs. Now you go."

"No thanks," I rolled my eyes.

"Hey, I haven't seen you around before," he said. "Where do you live?"

"Why would I tell you that?" I scoffed.

"Not the exact place," he chuckled. "I just meant like, do you come from the east district?"

"I'm from Northrun," I answered.

"Northrun?" He smirked. "That little dinky town without a wifi connection?"

"That's the one," I shrugged. 

"You're pretty far from home," he stated. "How'd you get here?"

"I'm with my friends," I sighed. "We're on a mission."

"Why would you come to the slums without them?" He demanded. "It's pretty dangerous out here."

"I couldn't wait," I shrugged. "How would you know that it's dangerous?"

Before he could answer, the waiter put our food down in front of us. Atlas smiled at the man, but he looked like Atlas had just killed his entire family. The waiter retreated back to the kitchen and I gave Atlas a confused look.

He shrugged at me and began eating his pancakes. I started eating my egg and bacon roll and sighed. 

"I need to get in that house," I told him. 

"Why?" He rose an eyebrow at me. I took another bite of the roll and studied him. I had met Atlas literally half an hour ago in the heart of the slums. I didn't know who he was, nor did he know me... But why did I want to know him?

"I'm looking for my parents," I admitted and passed the photo to him. He studied it for a moment before smiling a little.

"Is that little girl you?" He checked and I nodded. He turned the photo over and looked at the address before frowning. "How much do you know about your parents?"

"Nothing," I shrugged. "They left when I was four, but I don't remember anything about them."

He looked up at me and pursed his lips.

"What?" I asked. 

"He hasn't left yet," Atlas said, "why don't you come with me and I'll show you something?"

"Are you going to show me how easy it is to kill me?" I scoffed. "Stranger danger."

"I can't talk about it here," he muttered.

"What the hell is that supposed to mean?" I demanded.

"Anchor," someone said and I looked up in shock. There was a man in a suit that I knew was familiar, but I couldn't remember where from... Then it hit me.

"What are you? Secret service?" I scoffed at him.

"Valkyrie," Atlas mumbled. 

"Listen, you can't just ship me back to Northrun," I warned him. "My grandparents know that I'm out here. I would let you call them but oh, Northrun sucks."