Chapter Six- Settling In

I wake up to birds chirping outside and a sumer breeze blowing through my open window. I lift the duvet off and walk downstairs. The morning sun shines through the big windows in the living room and clouds move across the sky quickly. I sit down on the couch and flip the Tv on. 

Becca steps down the stairs sucking on her blankie. She walks over to me and climbs into my lap.

"Good morning, Becca." I whisper

"Morning Mawy." she says turning around to look me in the face. Her ruffled hair falls in her soft tan face. I brush the hair away from her face and tap her nose. 

"What do you want to do today?" I ask

"I wanna have a play with Emma" she says watching her cartoons.

"Who is Emma?"

"Emma is my friend  from school, can I play with her today?" she asks

"Sure. I'll just have to call Emma's mom." I say lifting Becca to the side and getting up off the couch. I walk over to the kitchen and open the cupboard with Ms. Stanley's phone book in it.

Emma's mom, Mrs. Waden was on the first page under "Becca's Friends".

I dial her number before seeing Tyler walk down the stairs. I wave to him and he runs into the kitchen. He slides to a stop on the hardwood before hugging me around my waist and walking away smiling.

"Hello?" A vioce says

"Hello, this is Mary. I am taking care of Becca and Tyler." I say

"Oh hello Mary. I'm Mrs. Waden but you can call me Debbie. What do you need?" Debbie says kindly

"Well Becca wanted to play with Emma today." 

"Oh that would be great, Emma just loves Becca." she responds. "Can you drop Becca off at my house around 12:30?"

"That would be reat, Thank you Debbie!" I say hangning up after we say our goodbyes.

I walk into the living room to see the kids watching TV together. A character on the cartoon pinches the other. Tyler leans over and pinches Becca's arm.

She begans to wail loudly, "Owww" 

Tears sream down her face as I walk over to them.

"Tyler, why did you do that?" I demand

"I didnt know it would hurt, i barely squeezed!" He says

"Well Becca is smaller than you, and it hurt her." I say

"I'm sorry Becca" Tyler says giving the crying Becca a hug.

"Hey Becca" i say trying to cheer her up, "You are going to go play with Emma today!" 

She looks up and I wipe away the tears from her eyes. 

"Emma!" she says happily

"Yeah, how about we go get dressed." I tell both of them

"Wait can I have a friend over?" Tyler asks jumping up from the couch.

"Sure, who?" I ask grabbing the phone book again

"Ummm can  I have Ben over?" He asks

"Sounds good" I respond cheerfuly before calling Ben's mother.

Everything is set up for the day. I'm dropping Becca off at Emma's house from 12:30 to 2:00. Tyler's little budddy Ben is coming over from 1:00 to 3:00.