Chapter Two

Chapter Two

I lay in bed for hours thinking about what I should do. Did I smell alcohol on Ms. Stanley’s breath? Yes, definitely. Should I confront her? What about the alcohol in her trash? Was she drinking instead of working? If I did confront her, would she fire me? I can’t leave Becca and Tyler. Would she do something stupid? Like drink and drive?

I fall asleep to the endless questions building up in my head. The vibration of phone wakes me up. I groan, its only 6:30 and the first day of summer! I read the text:

Hey, Mary. Can you watch the kids today? I had an unexpected

 meeting come up. Thanx. I’m leaving at 7:30.

                        -Ms. Stanley

Wow. I do it for Becca and Tyler, I tell myself as I roll out of bed. I pull on basketball shorts and a T-shirt before heading to the bathroom.

I finish up my bowl of Lucky charms and set out into the brisk morning air. I’m looking forward to when I can afford my new car, so that I don’t have to walk when my parents are busy, or like I should be right now-asleep!

I finally arrive and knock on the door. Ms. Stanley answers, “Oh good.” And walks back into the house.

“morning to you to” I mumble before walking in and shutting the door.

Ms. Stanley dashes around the kitchen grabbing items for work. I notice there are dark circles under her eyes and she wears her sunglasses inside. She takes an excederin before turning to me, “the kids are still asleep. I should be back before dinner. See you later!”

“Okay, have a good day” I respond, but am greeted by the sound of a slamming door.

I walk over and plop down on the couch. My eyelids grow heavy but I resist the temptation of sleep. It is 7:38, and Becca usually wakes around 7:30. While Tyler has discovered the art of sleeping in and wakes around 9.

20 minutes later I go to check on Becca as she should be awake by now. I jog up the stairs and peek my head through Becca’s door. The covers were thrown aside, her pj’s were on the floor and her favorite sandals were gone.

“Becca?” I yell “Becca!”

I hear the front door swing open and dash downstairs.

“How dare you try to-”

“but momma I just wanted to come with you!”

I make it downstairs to see Ms. Stanley holding Becca’s arm tightly. She swings her around, nearly knocking her off her feet.

Ms. Stanley turns to me, “She snuck out and hid in my car! I didn’t even know she was there until I arrived at work. I’m going to be late!” She yells roughly letting go of Becca’s arm. She runs towards me and I pick her up as soft tears fall down her cheeks.

Ms. Stanley is gone by the time I look up.

“Are you okay Becca?” I ask

She sniffles, “Uh yeah, I good.”

“Did you get dressed all by yourself?” I ask noticing her mismatching outfit.

“Yeah!”

“You look so pretty!”

“Thanx Mawy! Can you do my hair like you always do?”

“Sure” I respond.