Chapter 21

My hands begin to shake and I can't find my voice. I panic and jump out of my seat. 

"Becca?" I yell with a shaky voice as the thought of never seeing her again crosses my mind. For some reason I can't remember what she looked like or what she was wearing. What if she was kidnapped? How would I live with myself. My mind gets foggy and I can't think straight.

"Mawy, I'm stuck" 

The most beautiful sound I have ever heard comes from under the doctor's examination table Tyler sits on. I peek under and see Becca sitting with nearly an entire roll of athletic tape wrapped around her ankles. 

"I was playing" Becca begins tugging at the tape. I duck down and pull her into my arms, a happy tear cascading down my cheek. I untie the tape from her ankles and laugh, "looks like your game got a little carried away". 

She laughs and I help Tyler down from the docors table and we walk out to the car leaving the white walls and auro of sickness behind us. 

We make it home and noticing the numerous yawns during the car ride, I put in "Lilo and Stitch" and head to the kitchen to make dinner. I turn on the oven when I hear my phone buzzing on the counter. I answer the call:

"Hey, Mom? Whats up" I respond happily

"Hey hon." she responds sullenly

"Whats wrong?" I ask quickly sitting down on a barstool

"Ms. Stanley finally woke up after being unconscoius for three days" she begins

"Thats great!" I interupt finishing just in time to hear my mom.

"She left"

"Huh?" I ask confused

"she is gone, Mary. The doctors came in this morning and she was gone. They searched the hospital, everywhere.  She ran away last night, they don't even know how she got out!"

I don't say a word, because too many things are fillling my head, and my mom continues

"She left you a note saying to look in her bedroom nightstand" my mom whispers.

I muster up an, "okay" before hanging up and running upstairs. I run into Ms. Stanley's room and kneel down on the ground, pulling open her nightstand drawer. There is one thing inside. 

A single sheet of folded notebook paper. I reach inside and unfold it.

Dear Mary,

I have forgotten everything and everyone. I cannot even remember who I am. Those children you have cared for, I cannot think of one memory or anything that proves they are- mine. But for what people tell me, I'm am their mother. Nobody outwardly told me this but I know you were always there for Rebecca and Tyler when I was not. I have decided to re-invent myself. I cannot continue living as someone I dont know. I met a man, and I have fallen in love. We are leaving, I need to start over. I am sorry Mary. I cannot live in a past I don't know. 

They love you, Mary. I thank you for that.

Sincerly,

E. Stanley

I re-read the letter again before it slips from my grasp. 

Leaving? What?

Suddenly a wave of anger flows though me. No! She can't just leave! This woman, who does she think she is to just pick up and leave her kids?!

I fall backward and lay on my back on the floor, sighing loudly. Tears flow down my cheeks and onto the floor uncontrollably. My mind is so tired, as I stare at the cieling only able to breath and cry. My eyes fall heavy and I fall asleep.

I wake up with a jolt and sit straight up. My visions has black spots blurring it, and my head is dizzy. I take a deep breath and see Tyler sitting on the floor next to me. 

Holding the piece of paper telling him his mom is gone. 

His brown eyes squint as he struggles to read the cursive note. 

I wait for him to reach the part, unable to move.

His eyes stop moving back and forth and he looks up at me, eyes wide. He drops the note and comes to sit next to me. 

"Your not leaving, right?" he whispers tears dripping off his chin. 

"Never" I respond pulling him into my lap. 

I slowly make my way downstairs, holding Tyler on my back. He slides off and runs into the livingroom. I sit down on the couch next to Becca and turn off the TV cartoons. 

"Hey, it wasnt over" Becca whines

"Becca I need you to listen to me" I say and she turns towards me, "Your mom woke up today."

"Yay!" she squeals.

"But um she wasn't able to uh" I stutter, unable to find the right words.

Tyler interupts, "She left us. She's gone." he yells storming upstiars and slamming his door.

"What?" Becca whispers, "gone?"

"Becca, I'm going to talk to you like a big girl now."

She nods eagerly wanting an explanation.

"Yes. Your mom was never going to be normal again. And she didnt want to hurt you two" I say hoping that was part of Ms. Stanley's intentions. 

"Will she come back?" Becca asks confused.

"No, I don't think so" I stutter releazing the harsh impact of the truth. 

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Thank you so much for reading! I hope you enjoyed! Any suggestions? Comments? 

~AE_Waldron