Chapter Six

Copy right © All Rights Reserved by Louisa Ann 2020

***Chapter Six: New Employee***

[Angelina]

I kicked myself mentally over the events last night. Why did I have to talk to Jacob? It's already hard enough to see him with Molly, but talking to him was even more painful since he doesn't remember her. AND under a different name-well, a shorter version of my name, but not the point. Why was I so stupid?!

"Angelina?" I snapped out of my reverie when Hannah waved her hand over my face. "Yeah?" I asked, coming back to reality. "Are you alright? Ever since last night, you've just been spacing out all morning," concern was etched on Hannah's face, eyeing me warily.

"Yeah, I'm alright," I assured her, leaving out the truth. Luckily, the bell chimed signaling a customer coming into the bakery shop. I plastered a smile and looked up into the face that haunted my dreams last night.

Hannah didn't miss my reaction and glared at Jacob before he reached the counter. "Angelina? Hannah? What are you guys doing here?" Jacob asked taken aback upon seeing us.

"Um, the better question is, what are you doing here?" Hannah challenged her eyes narrowing in slits. I nudged her side and gave her a 'behave' look.
"My grandmother owns this bakery, so we both work here to help her out," I explained, surprised my voice was steady and calm while on the inside I was shaking like a cat that was just given a bath.

He had a blank expression on his face while he stayed quiet for a few minutes. "I have an interview with Ms. Mason," he finally said. My eyes widened at his comment, surprising Hannah as well.

"Oh, you're here. Just in time. Shall we get this interview started?" my head snapped at the sound of my grandmother's voice. "Yes ma'am," Jacob chirped, following my grandmother into her office.

"What in the world is happening?" Hannah asked, clearly still in shock as was I-surprised and confused. "Why would he get a job here when his parents are loaded?" I asked no one in particular. Hannah shrugged, glaring at the office door, almost like hoping she could see through the thick door.

~*~

Half an hour later, Jacob and my grandmother finally came out of the office, laughing. I was nervous to say the least; I wanted to know what they were laughing about. "What's so funny?" Hannah asked in annoyance. It's obvious she didn't like Jacob getting chummy with my grandmother.

"Oh, lil Jakey here is a funny young man," I was surprised to see my grandmother like a person so fast. Well she was the nicest lady, but she really looked happy. Jacob smiled at the three of us, his eyes landing on mine a little bit longer, until my grandmother's voice broke our little staring contest.

"When will you be able to start?" Both Hannah and I dropped out jaw in shock. Why is JACOB LANE working in my family's bakery?! Life is so unfair! Misery sure loves to follow me wherever I go.

"Might want to close your mouth, Angel. Don't want bugs flying in," Jacob whispered as he passed me, winking on the way out.

"Hannah he knows we were at Peter's house last night!" I hissed quietly in a panic. Hannah rubbed my back in comfort, trying to calm me down. "Hey, it's alright. Maybe he won't say anything to Molly. You know your cousin isn't the smartest bee in the hive," I looked at Hannah in disbelief.

"That's not nice Hans," I chastised, finally getting my breathing back to normal. "What am I going to do?" I sighed in defeat.

"I know!" I jumped at the scream that erupted my best friend whom was very close by the way. Nearly busting my ear drum. "What?" I asked nervously.

"Make him quit!" She grinned. I looked at my best friend with confusion on my face. "Make him quit?" I asked, "how?"

"When you train him, make him want to quit!" she exclaimed in excitement. I thought about it and the idea wasn't bad at all. "But I'm not mean as you," I chirped. Hannah smacked my arm, narrowing her eyes at me. "Ow! See, you're mean!" I teased, sticking my tongue out at her while rubbing the sore spot on my arm.

"Yeah, yeah. So operation 'Make Jacob Lane Quit' is on!" Hannah exclaimed excitedly. I rolled my eyes at the childish behavior, can't help to love her though. "You're crazy," I teased.

"But you love me," Hannah stated as a matter of fact.

"Sure... Keep telling yourself that," chuckling at the guffawed look on her face. "Take that back!"

I laughed as Hannah chased me around the shop with a frosting spoon. For a minute, I forgot all about Jacob Lane and him working in the same place as I am.

~*~

***Sorry for the long wait! Hope y'all enjoy!

***Unedited-positive, constructive criticism please.

***Thank you!!