27: Strong as Family

Silence...

That's the only way to explain it...

Katia, Daff, OG, Felix, Omar, and I all crowded around the couch. The TV began to stream security footage of him on the train as it happened.

Felix was smart to leap across the couch to cover my eyes. So I had not been exposed to the horrors they showed on TV.

"Turn this off now Omar!" He screeched shocking everyone in the room. I heard objects crashing to the ground and people arguing until the television lost power.

The room was pitch black...

Quiet...

Nothing could register...

Until it did. Katia was the first to break down, she realized what that meant. She turned away into Daff's arms. He couldn't even hold her he was so shocked. He stood there stunned... expressionless. As we all did. After that it was like a time bomb ticking down until we reached hell that we could never avoid.

I was next; my eyes welled up until I lost all my vision. I felt so weak, vulnerable...

I fell into Felix's shoulder screaming at the top of my lungs. My hand scratched his chest holding a death grip to his shirt that I am pretty sure I wreaked beyond usage.

He himself at this point could barely wrap his arms around me. I fixed myself in my seat so I could coddle him.

Felix rested his head on my chest which I held in my hand until my shirt became soaked in tears.

OG and Omar soon joined us...

Nothing could be done or said...

I had to be strong; I stood up and guided Felix, Omar, and OG to their rooms to sleep.

Not a word was said as I headed back to mine, but when I held my sobs long enough I could hear crying from every surrounding room.

"Alisha?" I heard a knock on my door. "Can I please sleep with you tonight?" Felix's voice filled my empty room, wiping his eyes.

"Come here." I held my arms out ready to hold him like a child.

He joined me in my bed and wrapped his arms around me; his face was chilled from tears. His body was freezing cold and shaking at an unbelievable rate. I held him closer to me in hopes to comfort him.

Through the moonlight streaming into my room I could see his eyes close as he tried to sleep through the crying.

I kissed his forehead and began rubbing my thumb from the middle of his forehead down to the bridge of the nose and back again.

My mother did this to me as a child to put me to sleep.