t w e n t y

Anthony. 

I found myself staring at a blank tv screen trapped in my thoughts. My house was uncomfortably quiet, but I couldn't bring myself to turn on the television or any music to bring sound to the living room. Moments like this always reminded me of when I literally had nothing, but my job. 

Since Racquel had been back home with me, my heart ached when she was gone out of fear that I'd relive the nightmare of her being taken away from me. 

I took a sip of the half glass of hennessy that sat between my slender fingers and checked the time. It was almost seven and I knew Cherise would be bringing Rocky back at any moment so that she could eat and get bathed to be in bed by nine. 

As if my thoughts were being read, my phone chimed with a call from Cherise.

"Hello?" I greeted as I excitedly hopped.

"Hey." she said sweetly. "I'll be at your door in a few seconds." She giggled before I could hear her knocking through the phone. I downed the rest of the drink and sat it in the sink before opened the door.

"Daddy!" I heard, making my heart smile.

"Hey princess. I missed you." I told her, scooping her up into my arms even though she thought she was too big for that. 

"I missed you." she told me kissing my cheek. 

Noticing Cherise was following us inside, I scrunched up my face but didn't want to say anything for the sake of our daughter.

"It smells good in here." She cooed before shutting the door behind her as if somehow dropping Racquel off was an invite. 

"Thank you?" I more so asked with a raised eyebrow. "Did you have fun, baby?" I asked focusing my attention on Rocky.

"Yes. Me and mommy went to Mr. Ray's house to play with his daughter. I missed her. I didn't saw her since Mr. Dave was coming over so Mr. Ray didn't came over anymore. But I think Mr. Ray is going-"

"Rocky." Cherise laughed nervously and I cringed at her grammar. She was young, but she knew how to speak correctly and I had to correct her often, but I would get her there.

That aside, I looked up at Cherise and squinted my eyes at her. "Rocky, go in your room and get out your pajamas then play with your toys for a little while i talk to mommy, okay?"

She obliged and Cherise scooted over closer to me once she was out of view. Her thick thigh touched mine and I clasped my hands together trying my hardest not to snap on her.

"I just want to apologize to you for everything." She began and I turned to look at her. "You know I've always been over dramatic, and I just felt like I wasn't getting enough of your time anymore. I went about everything the complete wrong way, and I'm so sorry for ever hurting you." she said, making eye contact with the floor. "You've always been the love of my life. I just hope that now that you're back-" she continued but I cut her off.

"You have my daughter around a bunch of niggas?" I asked, tired of the bullshit she was trying to spit to me. "If you're in a set relationship, I can understand that, but I don't want her around just any and every nigga who you consider to be whatever it is that you consider them to be." I told her and she rolled her eyes.

"First of all, don't ever make me out to be some sort of hoe or something. The meant who I take her around have children or nieces and nephews who she can play with. She's never up under any of these men so."

"You heard what I said. I'm not trying to hear any of that they have kids shit." I told her, not feeling like this being a debate.

She scoffed and rolled her eyes. "Let's not forget Racquel was perfectly fine. You think just because you popped back up and beat a damn case that you're going to dictate how I raise my child? You-"