Six

We walked out of the diner. Coltons arm was wrapped around my waist and my head was laying on his shoulder. I felt warm and fuzzy inside. It was a feeling I had missed while Colton was gone. The sun shines down on us and the air was cool. I never wanted this moment to end.

We walked to the park and laid  down in the grass. I keep my head on his shoulder. His arms were wrapped tightly around my waist. His grip was tight yet comforting. I closed my eyes as my body relaxed.

Colton moved his hand up to my hair and played with a strand of it in between his fingers. "How did life get to be so screwed up?" I ask after a few minutes of silence. Colton chuckles half heartedly. "I don't know Tess but life sure is screwed up right now." I couldn't help but laugh a little.

"Gosh I've missed your laugh. Tess you have no idea how much I've missed you." I sit up and look down at him. I had a few tears in my eyes again. "Why did you never wright to me. R- Ryan told me that you would write me a letter every day but never sent them. Why didn't you send the letters Colton?"

He sat up as well and looked me in the eyes. "I-I don't know honestly. I guess you could say I was afraid you would never write back. I was afraid that you had moved on and by me writing to you I would make things worse. Ryan always told me to send them but I could never bring myself to."

I nod taking in the information he had given me. "Next time promise me you'll send the letters?" I ask quietly. I knew Colton would go back to the army that's just how he was. Ryan's death wouldn't stop him from fighting for his country. It was something I always loved about Colton. He was brave and strong.

"I promise." He says to me. His eyes were filled with mixed emotions. One that stood out was anger. I could only guess that he was angry at himself, but I'm not to sure why he would be though.