One

Picture is if Ryan

One year later

Dear Tess,
It's hard being away from you and mom for so long. Both of your letters help. I feel like I'm not completely lost on what's going on at home. I wish I could be home with you, but don't take that to mean that I regret joining the army. I can assure you that I don't.

I've made many friends over the year. Of course Colton is still my closest friend . He writes a letter for you everyday. He never sends them though. He will not tell me why, I think he's afraid of your response.

I hope these letters bring comfort knowing that I'm still alive and well. Have a great week knowing that I'll be home soon.

Love,
Ryan

During the year Ryan had been gone he had sent my mom and I two letters a week. We wrote him back the same day we got the letter. He seldom talked about Colton in his letters. He knew that it was a rough topic for me.

I folded the letter back up and shoved it in my backpack. I had five minutes before school started and it took ten minutes to get to school. I guess I had to face the inevitable I was going to be late.

I run down the stairs and pass my mom who was standing in the kitchen with a cup of coffee to go. She hands me the coffee as I rush by. "Bye, have a good day." She yells to me.

"Bye love you." I yell as I slam the front door shut. I get in my car and turn the key. The car rumbles but doesn't start. I turn the key again but the car wouldn't start. "Come on not today." I get out of the car and go back inside.

"Mom my car will not start!" She walks to the front door. "Here take mine I'll get your car looked at today." I nod catching the keys she tossed me.

"Ok thank you." I rush back out of the house to my moms car. Luckily the car started the first time I turned the key. I made it to school three minutes after the bell. Only because I went way over the speed limit.

I run to my first Period class which is pre calculus with Mr. Walsh. He was pretty easy going and could care less if you were only a few minutes late. Unlike most teachers who count you tardy he just marks you present. That was why he is one of everyone's favorite teachers.

I sit down in my seat at the back of the class. Mr. Walsh was no where in sight. Everyone was talking to the people next to them. I decided to write back to Ryan with my free time. I took out a clean piece of paper and began to write.

Dear Ryan,
Your letters help me pass the time while your gone. It's hard without you being here. You'd think it would be easier to get use to you being gone but it's only harder.

There have been days where mom will tell me to go wake you up so your not late for school. I try not to laugh to much at her when she does this. All though I must admit it's quite funny.

I can't wait until you come home. There is so much I would love to tell you I just don't know how to write it on paper. Tell Colton that he should send the letters. I miss him more and more each day. It's hard knowing he writes to me but never send the letters.

Love,
Tessa