8-Unexpected Troubles In The Way

My cell phone rang. I fell off my bed trying to reach for my phone on the nightstand, but I still answered in time. It was Ash.

“Hey, Ash. What’s up?” I said happily.

“Um. I need to talk to you.” That tone of voice gave me butterflies. I thought that I should just stay home, pretend that I’m sick. I shouldn’t have answered his call so happily and I would’ve been able to tell him that I couldn’t make it.

“Why?” I asked.

“I-I just need to talk to you about something.”

“Is it something serious?” He sighed.

“It’s just-I’ll tell you when you get here.”

“Okay, when do you want me to come out?”

“Right now.”

“Okay.” I told him. “I’ll see you then.” I tried to say in a way to cheer him up.

“Bye.” It obviously didn’t work. I hung up the phone and got off the floor. I guess I should get ready, I thought to myself.

I just got my sweatshirt and put it on to leave. I was looking at it as I walked out of my room. It wasn’t a black sweatshirt, it was navy blue. This entire time I thought that I had bought a black sweatshirt when it has always been navy blue.

“Andy?” Mom asked from the kitchen. I looked up to see her sleeves rolled up and hands in the sink, washing dishes.

“Yeah?”

“Where are you going?” she asked.

“I’m going to talk to Ash.” she nodded.

“Okay, but you need to be back by midnight.” I rolled my eyes.

“I’m not going to be out that long, mom.”

I walked out with the door closing behind me. I picked up the pace so that I could get there faster. I just wanted to know what a wrong and it was really starting to worry me. Especially since I have a mind that likes to trail off to crazy impossible thoughts.

I was about to walk up to the door when Ash snapped to get my attention. I looked over and saw him. He signaled to come over to him. So I walked over to him and asked him why he was so upset.

“So....I finally told my mom and John, my step dad, that I was gay, okay?” We walked together onto the path in the woods. “But they weren’t too happy about it. John told me that he wouldn’t accept a son who was gay. So my mom, being the woman she is, agreed with him.” He sat on the ground when we were far enough in for no one to see us. “She’s....I just hate that woman!” he yelled. “She can’t stand up for herself and only agrees with what my step dad says. I can’t stand her.” I sat in his lap.

“Maybe you should talk to her in private then.” He shook his head.

“But I don’t want to have a relationship with her if she’s going to be like that, Andy.”

“Then why would you care what she thinks about you?”

“Because I know that she’d accept me if she just left him. Then she would be honest with me. She’d be honest with Tora. She’d do what she wants to do, but she can’t do that with this stupid asshole living with us.” I didn’t know that he had such family problems.

“Wow, Ash. I didn’t know that it would be that tough on you. I didn’t know you were having a tough time with your family.” He yelled.

“I know I shouldn’t have told them. This is all my fault. I’m the reason why they hate me. I should’ve known that I wasn’t going to be accepted by them. How could I be so stupid to think that they’d make an exception for me. I’m just another fag that they’d never love if they had to.” I hugged him.