Chapter 22

Chapter 22

Piper

Piper woke up from her nap. She met up with her friends and they had a small breakfast. People passing by stared and whispered.

"I can't stand these stares." Piper whispered. "It's like school all over again."

"Well, we are a strange bunch." Annabeth said. "A bunch of rogue, tough looking teenagers on their way to defeat twin giants."

"That's a nice way of putting it." Percy snorted.

"I can't eat like this." Hazel sighed. She got up. "I'm going back up to my room."

"I'll come with you." Piper offered. They walked up together.

"So," Piper said slowly. "Why do you like Leo?"

"What?" Hazel stopped in her tracks. "Oh, c'mon, don't think love can pass me." Piper pressed the elevator button. "I'm the daughter of love. So?"

"I-I don't." Hazel blushed. "I'm kinda with Frank...."

"I can see that as well." Piper nodded. "But Leo seems interested in you."

"Really?" Hazel perked. Piper raised an eyebrow. Hazel looked away. "Uh, why would he?"

"Dunno." Piper shrugged. "But he hits on almost every girl he sees. But with you, it seems different."

"Different how?" Hazel asked, trying not to let her curiosity show.

"He seems shy around you, like he's timid when you're near." Piper smiled. "He must really like you."

This seemed to make Hazel uncomfortable as the elevator door opened. They stepped inside.

"He's funny." Piper pointed out. "And he keeps your spirits up. He also can eat the twelve hot dogs in  one minute."

"Yeah," Hazel cracked a smile. "He's always been a pig."

"Huh?" Piper stared at her in confusion.

"Um, I mean," Hazel quickly caught herself. "Ever since I met him. He's been a big eater."

"Right." Piper stared at her in suspicion. Hazel began to waver under her gaze. "Did you meet Leo before this quest?"

"What?! No!" Hazel said a little too quickly. Piper narrowed her eyes. "H-how could I?" Hazel said, trying to sound innocent. "Then I'd know all about the Greeks."

"You could be like your brother." Piper thought, but she said, "Guess you're right."

"Let's-" As soon as Piper stepped out of the elevator, a furry gray arm grabbed her.

"PIPER!" Hazel cried.

She struggled, but the grip was tight. She could barely breathe. She looked around and found herself surrounded by furry female monsters. They looked like mutated bats with woman DNA. They had sharp fangs and huge, murderous eyes. Large leathery wings sprouted from their backs, and their feet were short and stubby. Despite the fact that they had frail, shriveled arms, they were strong, Piper noted her captor.

Hazel reached down to her waist, then realized she'd forgotten her calvary sword in her room and cursed. The monster whisked her away

"Piper!" Hazel cried as she disappeared.

They flew up onto the roof of the hotel.

"What are they?" Piper wondered. She was in too much of a pinch to identify them.