Chapter 26

Chapter 26

Leo

Leo's head felt all fuzzy. His senses felt all muddled together. He caught glimpses of his friends above him, all with looks so worried that they looked like they were about to explode. He heard voices, but they seemed so far away. His tongue felt on fire, his mouth dry and stuffy. He could barely open his eyes.

But he could remember one thing clearly.

Hazel.

He had cried his name over and over again. Not his name now. His old name. His real name.

"Don't leave me again." She sobbed silently.

"I won't." He thought, since he couldn't really say it. Then he blacked out again.

When he came to, he still felt all disoriented, but at least he was alive. His friends were murmuring in low, worried voices beside his couch. Piper's eyes were red and puffy. He could tell she'd been crying.

He glanced over at Hazel. She looked extremely worried, but not a trace of tears.

"Maybe I was just dreaming or hallucinating..."

"He has to make it." She was saying.

"Or maybe it was real."

"Leo's a strong man." Jason said firmly. "He'll make it."

"Yeah, right." Leo tought with a silent snort. "Don't talk bout me like I'm dead already. It's depressing."

They all turned around, faces filled with joy and relief. The next second, they were all crowded around him.

"Um, I'm claustrophobic." He lied.

"If you can joke that bad, you must be okay." Jason grinned.

This time, Leo didn't make a snappy comeback. He smiled.

"You really had us worried!" Annabeth said. "You were shaking and pale. You pretty much looked dead already."

"Thanks." Leo mumbled. "I feel so much better."

"Seriously!" Piper cried. "I-we were so scared you were gone!"

Leo slightly glanced at Hazel. He could see relief in her beautiful, golden eyes, but her head was bowed down like a shy turtle bringing its head into its shell.

"So, um, what now?" Leo asked.

"Well, as soon as your healed, we need to get a move on. We're really behind on our quest." Annabeth said.

Leo suddenly realized that because of him, his friends had to worry about him instead of focusing on the quest. He felt guilty. He'd pretty much ruined the quest.

"Oh, uh, Leo, I didn't mean it like that." Annabeth said as soon as she saw Leo's face falll.

"How long have I been out?" Leo asked.

"A few days." Percy replied.

"I'm an idiot." Leo mumbled angrily. "Getting myself poisoned like that."

"It's not your fault, Leo." Piper said. "It could've happened to any of us."

"And it happened to me." Leo thought glumly. "I'm meant to ruin this quest."

"Right you are." Gaea's voice taunted in his mind.

"Go away, dirt lady." Leo thought grumpily.