ch.70 Come home

I got up slowly, eyeing Harry—or whoever that man was that shoved me and punched his son. I brushed off the bits of dust and specs of blood on my wrists and blouse. 

Harry lunged forward, reaching his hands out to me.

“Angela, I'm so sorry, I don't know what came over me,” he gasped.

I shook my head. I didn’t want to hear a single word out of his mouth. Instead, I turned to Des and held a hand out to him.

"Desmond, we're leaving," I told him calmly. God, my voice was so unbelievably steady. It was terrifying.

Des nodded immediately, not bothering to glance at Harry.

Harry stared at us as we walked upstairs. His lips trembled and his slightly bloody knuckles shook as he reached for us weakly. He knew he didn't even deserve to beg for our forgiveness, let alone to lay another finger on us.

Just as I reached the top of the steps, I turned to Harry. I toyed with the ring on my finger. Harry swallowed hard as he stared at it, silently begging me to put it back on.

"You can have your filthy name, don't touch me with your blood-soiled hands, and you can sure as hell take back your wretched heart!" I spat, throwing his ring at his chest. 

He caught the ring as it hit his heart. I prayed I had thrown it hard enough to make him feel the slightest ounce of pain that he had caused me and poor Des.

"Angie," he begged, tears streamed down his cheeks.

I didn’t even flinch, which worried me slightly. Then I glanced down at my bruised wrists and Des' swollen eye. It didn't matter if Harry was on the floor, bawling his eyes out; he didn't deserve our forgiveness.

Des ran up the steps, terrified Harry would drag him back down.

"Tell your siblings to pack their bags. We're leaving," I told Des. Des nodded and dashed up to his room. A few minutes later, I heard the shuffling of bags and muffled voices.

I walked up to my room and began stuffing a few items of clothing into a bag, enough that I could last a few days, until things boiled over I didn't know how long I was going to leave, but I just knew that I'd had enough and so had the kids. Harry was unstable. His anger had taken over him and if me and the kdis stayed any longer, God knows what else he might do.

I grabbed my wallet and the car keys and headed downstairs. J.D. and Des stood ready with Farah. None of them questioned anything, except Farah.

"Mom, what's going on?" she whispered, tugging at my hand.

"Honey, we just have to go away for a few days," I explained vaugely, kissing Farah's cheeks.

"But why?"

"Farah," J.D. interrupted. He knelt down and took her hands in his. "We're gonna stay with Uncle Danny cause-cause daddy's gotta take some time--," J.D. started to lie.

"To cool off," Des finished.

Farah nodded slowly. Des kissed her cheeks and patted her hair softly, re-tying her ponytail.

My phone vibrated. 

"Hello?" I asked plainly. My voice felt stiff and hoarse, like I'd cried for hours.

Some gigling and whispering sounded from the other end of the line.

"Hey mom, it's Darcy," she responded.

I took a deep breath.

"Darcy, where are you?"

"I'm with Richie and our friends," she told me.