ch.47 Missing Title

We sat at the table, having dinner. Candy had to leave early. God had spoken and the devil didn't come around, either. But I was sure she'd make a random appearance tomorrow. I really need to talk about Harry getting new locks on the doors...

Nearly everyday, Candy came over and hung out with Darcy, but more and more so with J.D. It got to the point where she only came to see J.D., not even Darcy. And Des, Des looked as though he might burst at any second. 

"So how's about you join Des and I for a little game of football?" Harry grinned, punching J.D. playfully in the shoulder. 

J.D. winced and rubbed his shoulder. Des glared at J.D. as though it were his job.

"Fresh air will do ya good," Harry nodded warmly. "What if Des throws the ball in my face and breaks my glasses?" J.D. mumbled. He adjusted his frames carefully.

"Get contacts, four eyes," Des laughed. J.D. grumbled under his breath.

"You'll be fine," Harry waved a hand in the air. 

"He doesn't have to play if he doesn't want to," I spoke up.

Harry and Des burst into synchronized laughter. For a second, I couldn't tell who was who.

"Boys play sports. J.D.'s a boy. He's gonna play a sport," he stated bluntly.

J.D. shifted uneasily, gripping his fork as though it were a pen.

We continued dinner, but avoided any pressing, conflicting topics. 

"Luxie told me she got the flu, so she had to stay home," Harry explained. 

"Aw she was sick? That's too bad. She has the wedding coming up really soon and--"

"The wedding is not that soon," Harry spoke curtly. I blinked.

"Three months away..."

Harry nodded stiffly. "Pass the salt," he mumbled.

"And guess who she added to her list of brides maids?" I raised a brow.

"The devil," Darcy hissed in disgust.

Harry, Des, and especially Farah looked up at us.

"T-the devil can't come to her wedding," Farah mumbled softly. "He's mean and scary," she whispered, as if he might be lurking in the kitchen.

"Oh, no, baby, the real devil's not coming. Mommy was just kidding" Des shook his head gently. He knelt down and held Farah's face in his hands. Her chubby cheeks looked even plumper. 

Farah looked up at me with those now terrified, doe brown eyes and I finally realized how compelling my own eyes were in displaying certain  emotions.

"You promise, momma?"

"Yes, baby" I nodded. Farah smiled.

J.D. leaned close. Des kissed her left cheek while J.D. kissed the other. 

Darcy stared at Harry and crossed her arms over her chest.

"I'm not a boy, but I play a sport" she spoke up randomly.

Harry blinked in confusion. 

"Of course, honey. But cheerleading isn't a sport" he mumbled cautiously. 

"It's not?" Darcy asked sarcastically.

"Well, it's just not as intense as football--"

"Sluts wth pompoms" Des grumbled under his breath. Darcy kicked his foot.

"I am the varsity team captain. My girls and I run a mile every day. We jog up and down the bleachers 100 times. We do fifty curl ups and fifty push ups. And we do all this while still wearing mascara and short shorts."