Jingle Bells and Birthdays (Baby!Louis, Toddler!Harry, Little!Niall)

This is almost 5000 words. Wow. A big happy birthday to Louis today, and for everyone else, have a very merry Christmas. I love you all. xx

"Christmas!" Niall squealed, not bothering to look at the clock as he pushed the blankets to the side. Bouncing excitedly on the tips of his toes, he pulled on his favorite fuzzy pajama pants and ran to the room next door, where one of his 'brothers' was still sleeping. "Harry! Christmas!" No response came. He pouted and shuffled over to the edge of the crib, staring down at the curly-haired boy who had his eyes shut. A dummy was bobbing between his lips, and he looked content as he snuggled his stuffed kitten to his chest. "Harry!"

Green eyes fluttered open, alarmed but also still very sleepy. "Wha?" He mumbled when he saw it was only Niall. His hand came up to rub at his eyes.

"Christmas!"

Harry grinned and pushed himself to his feet, holding onto the edge of the crib bars with a light grip. "Christmas?"

"Yeah! Come on!"

Niall knew he wasn't supposed to get him out of his crib, but today was special. He looked around until he found the little latch, and when he pushed it down, the bars fell with it. After helping Harry to his feet, the two started down the hall, struggling to hold in their giggles. Harry lightly tugged on Niall's sleeve. "We gettin' Lou too?"

The blonde nodded, fingers wrapping around Harry's as they walked - more like ran. Louis was still soundly asleep and sucking his thumb, curled up much lke Harry had been himself. Niall put down the bars and removed his thumb, replacing it with a dummy. He knew from experience that simply waking Louis up would only end with headaches and an hour's worth of crying, so the only true option would be to wake him as sweetly as either of his daddies would. He made sure Louis was wrapped in the blanket and settled comfortably in his arms before he gave Harry a triumphant grin. "Like this?"

The younger boy nodded quickly. "Yes! An' cuddles!"

Niall's arms tightened accordingly, and he started to sway back and forth until he heard a tiny gurgle from the smaller lad. He peeked to the side and brought Louis closer to his chest instead of his shoulder. "Morning LouBear!"

"Oh..." Louis squeaked, looking up with wide eyes. This wasn't Zayn or Liam. "Uh... dees?"

"They're sleeping!" Harry laughed, causing Louis to giggle despite his not knowing what was going on. If Harry was happy, he usually was too. It worked the same if he was upset. "It's almost Christmas!"

Louis frowned behind his dummy, trying to figure out what that meant. Niall just shook his head, deciding it wasn't that important at the moment. "Let's go wake up our daddies!"

"Dees!" He squealed, knowing exactly what that word meant.

Liam and Zayn were cuddling in bed when the three walked through the doorway, tiptoeing so they wouldn't be heard. Zayn's eyes were closed, his head slightly turned into the pillow as he breathed deeply and evenly. Liam had the smaller lad in his arms with his head resting on top of dark hair. Both of them were completely and comfortably asleep, and if it had been any other day, Niall probably would have let them sleep. Not today.

The second that Louis spotted the two sleeping men, he let out a whimper and made grabby hands toward them. Niall set him down on the bed and climbed on it himself. Once Harry had crawled up as well, he and Niall moved forward until they were just at Zayn's and Liam's feet. They exchanged giddy looks, and together, then started bouncing on the bed, squealing, "Daddy! Dada! Up!" Even when they woke up with wide eyes, the two younger lads continued to jump while Louis sat off to the side and clapped his hands, chortling happily.

"We're awake, we're awake!" Liam finally laughed, wrapping his arms around their waists and pulling them down. "What are you doing up so early?"

"Christmas!" Harry giggled, wiggling into Zayn's arms so he had more room. Zayn pressed a kiss to his forehead and sat up, holding him close.

The night before, they had flown back into London from Australia. They had their final concert of the year there, not to mention countless signings, interviews, and photoshoots. They were relieved to be home, but none of them were as happy as Niall and Harry, who could actually grasp the concept of Christmas and all that came with it. Zayn and Liam had promised to take them out to get a tree, and the rest of the day could be spent doing whatever they would like. They also had a surprise for their little boys, but they weren't going to give it away. They just knew the three were going to be ecstatic.

Zayn smiled, pressing a light kiss to Harry's nose. "You mean Christmas Eve, love? Santa comes tonight. I bet you're excited."

"Santa!" Harry beamed. At the same time, Louis whimpered for attention, and Liam hummed as he brought him into his lap as well.

"And good morning to you, LouBear! Are you excited for Christmas and gifts?"

"Mas!" Louis agreed, slipping into a fit of giggles as Liam tickled his tummy. Everyone was in good spirits so far - quite surprising, considering how late they got home the night before. It was practically a miracle that they weren't woken up by cries.

Zayn and Liam cuddled their 'sons' for a while, making sure all three got the attention that they deserved. Eventually, though, they knew it was inevitable that they had to get up. Zayn was the first to push off the blankets and shuffle to his feet. "Do you want to change Louis and Harry while I go and make breakfast?" He asked Liam, helping Niall off of the bed as the blonde nearly faceplanted. Liam nodded in response, gathering the other two and leading them toward their proper nurseries. Niall was smiling up at Zayn with complete love in his bright blue eyes.

"Can I help with breakfast?"

"Of course you can!" Zayn nodded, smoothing down his hair where it was sticking up in all directions. "Are you dry?" Niall, much to his dismay, was in pull-ups because the poor lad was prone to accidents. He was usually pretty good at using the toilet in the daytime, but at night, he couldn't seem to help himself.

Niall nodded proudly. "Yes!"

"Perfect! How about you help me cook something special?"

Of course Niall agreed, and the two made their way downstairs to begin breakfast. While they cooked up colorful omelettes with red and green peppers to indicate the holiday mood, Liam set Harry down on the floor while he lifted Louis onto the changing table. As usual, it didn't take long to get them changed, and by the time he set Harry back down, the young lad was bubbling with excitement. "Did Santa get my letter?" He asked hopefully. Liam gathered Louis into a small bundle in his arms and chuckled.

"Of course he did! He even called me just to make sure you were being good."

Harry beamed and held Liam's fingers as they walked downstairs. "I wish I could meet Santa."

"Yeah? Maybe you will one day." He offered. Breakfast was already nearly finished, and with Louis and Harry in their high chairs, the family began to eat.

~

"Are we gonna get a big tree? With lots of leaves and pretty branches and a nice smell?" Harry questioned, eyes alight with excitement as Zayn helped him zip up his jacket and pull a beanie over his curls. "Its gotta be perfect, right?"

"Right, Haz. I think you'll be able to spot the perfect tree from a mile away." Zayn winked and kissed his forehead. Liam finished dressing Louis and smiled, grabbing the car keys. Zayn took Harry's and Niall's hands while Liam carried Louis. They were bouncing in their seats once they were buckled and placed in the back.

There were certain rules Niall, Harry, and Louis had to follow when they went out in public. The obvious things, such as saying "Daddy" and carrying a dummy, were prohibited, but there were also subtle things that many people wouldn't have given another thought to. Louis and Harry couldn't ask for a change, so to let Liam and Zayn know, they would nudge their foot or squeeze two of their fingers. Louis had to act a bit bigger just to ensure he wouldn't begin crying at the lack of attention or dampness in his nappy, but he loved going out as much as the other four.

The scenery outside of the car windows was covered in light, shiny sheets of perfectly white snow. There were footprints and tire marks in some areas, but for the most part, it was all fresh and untouched. Niall made a mental note to himself to convince one of his daddies to make a snowman with him before all of it melted.

After a few minutes of driving, they finally arrived at the little farm. There were all kinds of trees, but the pine ones they were focusing on were off to the left. Most were already gone, but a select few still stood tall. In addition to the five boys who had just arrived, there were some others wandering around who had clearly waited until the last minute to get their own tree. Niall was the first to rip off his seatbelt and climb out. If it hadn't been for Zayn's warning not to go anywhere, he probably would have taken off right into the field.

It didn't take long to get Louis and Harry unbuckled, and as soon as they began walking, Louis and Harry each latched on to one of Liam's hands. Zayn walked with Niall and chuckled as he pointed out something lovely about every single tree they passed. "Look at that one Daddy! It's pretty!"

Liam turned his head and walked toward the tree. "It's tiny, Nialler... we need something a bit bigger than that."

"Oh." Niall pursed his lips and nodded. He ran ahead to scan the area for their dream tree. The other four stayed behind and walked slowly so they wouldn't miss anything. Louis stumbled every few steps thanks to the snow, and soon Harry was falling as well, making a game out of it. They weren't even attempting to pretend to be looking at trees. Eventually, Zayn sighed and playfully swatted their bums.

"Why don't you go play in that empty space over there? We'll come get you when we're done."

Harry's green eyes widened. "Okay!" He agreed, taking Louis' hand and pulling him along.

"Stay where we can see you!" Zayn called, smiling as Louis tripped again, bringing both of them into the snow. When they reappeared into his line of vision, they were completely covered in the white substance, but smiles were clear as well as the giggles leaving their lips. They were happy, and that was all that really mattered on Christmas Eve.

A whole half hour went by of searching for their new tree. From a few feet away, Niall peeked his head into their line of sight and practically beamed. "I think I found one!"

"Go stand by it so nobody else takes it!" Liam called back, taking Zayn's hand in his own. With another glance at their other boys, who had begun throwing snowballs at each other, they made the small trek to the tree Niall had chosen. The closer they walked to it, the more they seemed to like it. It was a beautiful, healthy green, with the branches and needles all in the right places. The top would be just the right height to put a star on top. Liam whistled in appreciation. "I think you picked a winner, babe."

"Really?" Niall bounced on his toes. "Can we get it?"

Zayn checked over the tree as well. He smiled at it and picked up Niall in his arms, trying to tickle his stomach through the thick padding of the coat. "I don't see why not!"

"Yay! Take it now!" Niall squirmed out of Zayn's arms and ran to the tree, arms wrapping around the trunk of it. He tugged it, and when it didn't budge, he tried again and again only to get the same result. "Um... tree doesn't wanna come home..."

"We have to get someone to cut it down for us, silly."

The blonde thought about it. His eyes filled with tears, and he hugged the tree even tighter and sat right there in the snow, refusing to let go. "No! Don't hurt it! Trees are nice, no hurt them..."

Zayn and Liam exchanged surprised glances at the sudden fit. Liam strolled over and easily unwrapped Niall's arms from around the tree, picking him up and bringing him to his feet so he could give him a proper hug. "They aren't hurting them. The trees are stuck right now, yeah? And when we cut them down, they become free. It doesn't hurt them at all. Then we can take this one home and make it beautiful so Santa can put all of the gifts under it. Trees get really happy when they're picked to be a Christmas tree."

Niall's eyes brightened back up, and he felt his heart swell. "Oh! Then we need to cut it down!"

"Exactly," Zayn hummed, taking Niall's hand. "Why don't you help me gather up your brothers and get them in the car while Daddy finds someone to help cut down the tree?"

Being the oldest, Niall loved helping with anything he could, and this was no exception. He ran off, calling Harry's and Louis' names as loud as humanly possible. Zayn snuck a chaste kiss to his lips before jogging off. While the other four were getting into the car, Liam found a worker to help him cut the tree. As soon as it was finished and tied to the top of their car, he paid the correct amount and got right back into the driver's seat. That was painless.

"What next, boys?" Liam asked, looking in the mirror so he could see the boys in the backseat. "You three were so good... I think some hot chocolate is in order." Three happy cheers rang out, and he and Zayn both smiled, connecting their hands and playfully giving the other a squeeze every once in a while.

The ride home passed without incident, for the most part. They carried Louis and Harry in and gave each of them a quick change before sitting them down in front of the TV with Niall. They had come to a conclusion that the tree should be right in the corner, because "that's where the most room is, so we can have more presents" as Niall said. It took both Liam and Zayn to carry their new tree into the house - it barely fit through the doorway, but they managed to do it. They set it in the stand in the corner, and as they stepped back, they realized just how good their find had been. They couldn't have gotten a better Christmas tree had they customized it themselves.

"Dada?" Harry asked, tugging on Zayn's shirt. When the older boy turned toward him, he gave a sheepish smile. "I help with chocolate?"

Zayn's eyes widened comically. "You want to help? Are you kidding?" When Harry's eyes widened, he scooped him up and started tickling his sides, causing Harry to squeal loudly and squirm. "Why do you think you should help?"

"I good!" Harry chirped, bursting into another fit of loud giggles. "Please please please Dada? Can I help?"

Zayn hummed and kissed his forehead. "Sure, babe. I can't say no to you." He set him on his hip and carried him into the kitchen, placing him down on the counter. "Do you think you can pour the milk in?" He grabbed the rest of the carton, which was pretty light. "Just pour the rest of this in and try not to spill it."

"Okay!" Harry agreed, beaming as Zayn kissed the top of his head. Liam walked in with a tired Louis in his arms and a perky blonde trailing behind him.

"Are you making hot chocolate, boo?"

Harry nodded, pouring the milk in and gasping when a few drops flew out and landed on the floor. His bottom lip started to wobble, but Zayn saw it coming and pulled him into his arms, wiping the single tear that had dropped onto his cheek. At the same time, he dropped a towel onto the floor and moved it with his foot, mopping the droplets before they had a single chance to dry. "It's no big deal, Hazza. See? We already have it all cleaned up."

"But..." He peeked down at the floor. "No drops?"

"None. It's an easy fix, love. No big deal." Zayn kissed his cheek and handed him the bag of mix. "Remember how much to pour in?"

With a little help from Niall, Harry poured in the correct amount and handed the bag back to Zayn. The two younger boys took turns stirring, and when the hot cocoa was finished, Zayn poured it into three individual mugs. Liam poured the rest into two bottles and handed Harry his, pressing the last one to Louis' lips. The smaller lad began sucking on it, his eyes already drooping from tiredness. The five moved to the couch so Louis could sleep more comfortably and Liam could give Harry his bottle while he cuddled him in his lap.

It was about time for naps for their two youngest. Louis was already asleep, so he was no trouble to tuck in, but Harry was a little more reluctant to sleep, afraid he was going to miss something. It took fifteen minutes of reading a story and rocking Harry with his stuffed kitten before the boy finally slept. They tucked him in as well, kissed his forehead, and left. Niall had quiet time and was happily watching a Christmas movie up in his room.

"What do you say we make cookies?" Liam asked, turning his head to capture Zayn's lips with his own. He went to pull away, but instead, Zayn cupped his cheeks and pulled him in for an even deeper kiss.

"I know something even sweeter than cookies."

"Yeah?" Liam chuckled, arms wrapping around his waist and pulling him toward the desired bed. "We'll have to be quiet."

"No promises."

~

When the boys inevitably woke up from their naps, Liam went up to the attic to retrieve their Christmas ornaments. They had brought some of their own from their other homes, but there were many they had purchased for their own special family. It was the first Christmas they were spending as a family, and it had to be special. That didn't even include the fact that it was Louis' birthday. They had talked to him in his big headspace, and he had agreed that half of the day should be spent for Christmas and the other should be for his birthday. It was the fairest way to do it.

"LouBear!" Zayn cheered, picking him up out of his crib and twirling him around. "Happy birthday sweetheart!"

Louis gurgled quietly behind his dummy and looked up at his Dada with bright blue eyes. "Ooh..."

Zayn chuckled and cuddled him tightly, pressing kisses to his cheeks. Harry, who had already been let out of his crib, was carefully picking up a few ornaments at a time to bring them downstairs. He was only allowed to carry the ones that he couldn't break, but he was just happy to help, no matter how big or small the job. He looked up as he heard footsteps and grinned. "Happy birthday Lou!"

Niall looked up as well, holding the ornaments that he had chosen himself. "Happy birthday!"

Louis smiled and made grabby hands for both of them. Zayn placed him on his hands and knees on the floor, and Louis quickly crawled over to Niall and picked up one of his ornaments, starting to bring it to his mouth. "No, love...." Zayn gently chastised, taking it out of his hands and replacing it with the dummy he had dropped. "Ni, can you help him put his ornaments up? Make sure he doesn't put any of them in his mouth, please." He kissed the Irish lad's cheek and ran upstairs to help Liam grab Louis' birthday presents.

"You think he'll like these things?" Liam asked hopefully, picking up the large bag. "I know it's all little stuff, but..."

"He'll love everything, Li." Zayn promised, taking the bag from him. When they went downstairs, they found Louis reaching up to a branch to stick an ornament on. He nearly dropped it, but Niall took hold of his wrist at just the right moment to help steady him and put it where he wanted to. Harry was decorating happily, sticking different ornaments in the empty spaces. "That looks so good boys!"

"Pitty?" Louis looked up and giggled lightly. Liam picked him back up and cuddled him.

"Very pretty! The prettiest tree I've ever seen!"

Louis clapped his hands and leaned aginst Liam's chest. As he did, his eyes fell on all of the presents, and he squeaked and started pointing to them with little whimpers. "That..."

"Hm?" Liam turned and faced the presents. "Oh! Do you want to open the presents, boo?"

"Yus! Yus!"

Zayn and Liam both laughed. After adding the finishing touches to their tree, they gathered all of the boys up so they could watch Louis open his presents. Zayn and Liam had bought him a plentitude of different things, including different kinds of toys, new bottles and colorful nappies, and adorable clothes that made him look even more little. He loved everything, if the excitement on his face was any indication. He picked up one of his new onesies and bounced up and down, holding it out to Zayn hopefully. His Dada smiled, of course, and helped him into it. "Look at you! You're so adorable!"

"Pitty?"

"You're very pretty!"

He clapped again and smiled brightly, sucking on his dummy. "Oh!" Niall squeaked, nudging Harry. Both of them stood and started running upstairs. "We have another present for Louis!" They were gone for a few moments, and when they reappeared, there were crudely wrapped presents in their hands. Niall shoved his into Louis' lap. "Mine first!"

"Ooh..." Louis tore the paper, lips parting when he saw that it was a new dummy. "Dummy!" He couldn't open the package by himself, but Zayn helped him and handed the small piece of plastic to him. It had a picture of a tiny cartoon bear on it eating out of a jar of honey. Louis removed the other dummy and put the new one in his mouth, grinning brightly behind it. "Ooh!"

"Do you like it?" Niall asked. Louis nodded his head quickly, sucking even harder.

"Me next!" Harry announced. His present was in a bag, and Louis giggled as he pulled the paper out of it and threw it everywhere. He saved the actual present for last, but when he pulled off the paper to reveal a light blue teddy bear, he gasped and hugged it to his chest.

"Pitty!"

Liam got up to throw all of the wrapping paper and tape away. Zayn smiled lovingly and kissed his temple. "Do you think you're ready for some cake?"

"Cake!" All three boys squealed. Harry and Niall stood up and ran to the kitchen while Zayn lifted up Louis, setting and buckling him into his high chair.

The cake, while it wasn't homemade like the boys had wanted to give their Louis, was made by an adorable little bakery in the city that catered to all kinds of needs. They could confidently place their order and know that it was perfect. When they had opened the box the day before and found everything flawless, they couldn't have been happier. Louis' name was written across the top in large blue letters, and underneath that, there was a picture of all five of the boys. It was an extra at a photoshoot that they decided not to use, but it was still one of their favorite pictures.

"Ready?" Zayn smiled, waiting for Liam to come in before he placed the cake on the table. Louis smiled at the design and watched as Harry and Niall placed the candles all over the cake. Liam lit them, Zayn dimmed the lights, and they began to sing their version of Happy Birthday loudly and beautifully. The sound wasn't the same without Louis, but it was still as smooth as butter. At the end, all four boys leaned in to give Louis a kiss. "We love you, baby."

"Love." Louis smiled back and gave them a sloppy hug. He was one lucky lad.

~

Hours later, after playing with Louis' new toys and lots of cuddling and giggling, it was finally time for bed. Louis, unsurprisingly, was the easiest to put to sleep. They gave him a bottle and rocked him around until his eyes drooped closed. The new bear and dummy he had refused to let go of were with him in his crib, and the two men kissed his forehead and told him happy birthday and goodnight one more time before moving on to Harry.

The curly-haired boy was sitting in the rocking chair in the corner of his room, kicking his feet and waiting for someone to come in and say goodnight. As soon as he heard Zayn and Liam, he smiled up at them sheepishly and continued swinging his legs. "I'm too 'cited to sleep."

They exchanged looks. "Hazza, you have to go to sleep, baby. Santa won't come unless he knows you're asleep."

Harry pursed his lips. "Yeah, but... I'm not tired. Too 'cited."

Liam picked him up and set him back on his lap, trying to think. He rocked back and forth, eyes flitting down to the green pair right beneath his. "You already had your bottle... you know Santa isn't coming until later..." He trailed off and set his chin on top of Harry's head. "What if we let you and Niall cuddle in his bed, hmm? I'm sure you two could watch a movie and fall asleep that way."

Harry grinned, grabbing his kitten and holding it tightly. "Yes please."

They nodded and took one of his hands each, walking to Niall's room, where the blonde was sat perched on his bed. Zayn smiled, lifting Harry onto the blankets. "Ni? Do you care if I turn on a movie for you and Hazza to watch?"

"No!" Niall grinned, clearly not the least bit tired at all. Zayn tucked them in while Liam found an appropriate Christmas movie for them to watch. "Dada?"

"Hm?" Zayn smiled, lovingly placing the blanket over them. Niall frowned a bit.

"Will Santa know that we're here now that we aren't home for Christmas?"

Liam turned as the movie started playing and returned to the other side of the bed. Zayn didn't really seem to know how to answer, so it was his turn to think of some kind of solution. "We wrote Santa a letter just to let him know where we are. Don't you worry." He smiled, smoothing back Niall's hair. Both of the boys seemed content with that answer. "We'll see you in the morning. I'm sure you'll wake up before we do."

"Night," Niall smiled, wrapping his arms around both of them before setting his head back on the pillow. Harry said his goodnights as well and snuggled against Niall's side so they could watch the movie. Zayn and Liam watched for a few seconds before making their way out of the room and to their own.

"Do you think they'e really going to sleep?" Zayn smiled, wrapping his arms around Liam lazily. Liam pecked his lips.

"Eventually. You know they'll sleep so Santa will come."

Zayn nodded, pulling him in for a deep kiss. "We better get to bed too. We don't want to disappoint our boys."

"Definitely not."

They crawled into bed, Zayn's head on Liam's chest, Liam's large arms wapped around Zayn's waist. "See you in the morning?"

"Bright and early."

Zayn nodded back, his eyes closing and his body curling up into Liam's side. Maybe it was his imagination, but he could have sworn he heard bells in the middle of the night.