Chapter 23: Try outs

Chapter 23

November 3, 2009

Isabella's Pov

Year 11

"You're really gonna do the play?" Harry asked me as we walked into the auditoruim.

"Yeah, I thought it would be a lot of fun, but it would be even better if you did it with me." I smiled, as I looked around the big open room for a seat up close to the stage.

"No way Isa, not only do I not want to, I also have football practice after school and I can't do both. What's the play even called?" Harry asked me as he followed me down the long row to open seats.

I rolled my eyes "It's called Snowed In."

Once we found a seat, I set my bag down next to me and grabbed my water out of it. As Harry kept asking me questions about the play I looked around to see if I could find Aria or Skylar because I knew that they want to try out too, but I didn't see them anywhere.

"What's it about?"

"Here, just read this and it will answer all your questions." I handed him a piece a paper, that pretty much explained everything about the play.

Every year our school did a Christmas play, and this year I decided to tryout because it was my last year, and I throught it would be a lot of fun, peforming on stage with all my friends and singing Christmas songs. This years school play was called "Snowed In," the play was pretty much a love story mixed in with a crazy holiday party, and since the play didn't sound to boring I decided to tryout.

My attention turned Ms. Darby as she walked down the row to sit at the table place in front of the front row. Ms. Darby was the drama teacher, she was very strict and like to have things a certain way. Her shoulder length blonde curly hair bounced as she walked, before she sat down at the table, she fixed her light brown glasses and looked down.

"Christina! You're up!" She yelled loudly. I watched as Christina stood up from her seat and quickly made her way up to the stage. Once she stood in the center with the microphone in her hand, Ms. Darby asked her what part she wanted, and of course, she said she wanted to be Ruth, the main female role in the play.

"Okay, pick one of the songs from the play and start right away." Ms. Darby said without looking up at her, instead she wrote something down in her notebook. I presumed it helped her keep track of everyone who was trying out, what song they were singing, and which part they wanted to be.

Christina nodded her head, shut her blue eyes and took a deep breathe before she started to sing, 'Deck the Halls.' As soon as the first word excited her mouth I wished she would stop. She may have been a pretty girl, but her voice was far from it. A long, and torturous five minutes later, after her singing and reading line, Ms. Darby called the next person up onto the large stage.

So far all the girls who had went up to try out for Ruth's part did ok, with a few exceptions. Honestly a few of the girls could really sing too, it made me nervous. Everyone knew that being able to read lines well was a part of it, but if you could sing it out shined the ability of you to get into a character.

Only a few guys tried out to be William, the main boy part, as known as Ruth's love interest, but none of them could really sing besides Will. Will as in my ex, who I didn't even know he was going to try out. I had no idea he was even into acting.

As Ms. Darby would call out the names each time I would get more and more nervous. I was going to have to sing in front of all the people in the room, and then be judged in front of them. Thoughts of doubt cloud my mind. What if I wasn't as good of a singer as everyone had told me, what if I messed up and made a fool out of myself, and with my luck, I was going to fall going up the steps to just get onto the stage.