Chapter 21

Albus turned his head frantically, searching for Scorpius. By Merlin, he was going to kill him when he found his best friend.

His parents had started to walk over, a path clearing the way for them.
Whispers arose, and glances were cast in their direction.

Even decades after his Hogwarts years, Harry Potter was still known for his heroics.

——————————————————

Scorpius' chest was heaving, phantom bruises throbbing on his skin. The minute he caught sight of his father's sworn enemy, he lost it.

You're not good enough.

You're the one who's supposed to be dead, not her!

You're a disgrace to our family name.

The words echoed in his mind, clattering and bouncing about. He inhaled, shuddering violently.

Darting behind a stone pillar to conceal his body from the Potter's, Scorpius attempted to control his erratic breathing.

Clutching his head with his pale fingers, he scrunched his eyes up, savouring the darkness. Dulling his senses, he recalled the moments that was the most precious to him.

Chatting with Albus over dinner at Hogwarts.

Sharing a picnic with his once stable family on a bright summer's day.

His mother, whirling him about, and her laughter echoed off the treetops.

Burying his head into his best friend's shoulder, lost in the feeling of overflowing joy.

Scorpius exhaled, the world coming back to him, piece by piece.

He startled, though, when dark haired figure rushed up to him, throwing an arm around his shoulder.

"Goddamnit, Scorp! I thought I had lost you!"

Scorpius lowered his eyes to the ground, refusing to look Albus in the eye.

Maybe you did.