Chapter 16

The corridors were bubbling with joyful chatter and swishing onyx robes, the sky a bright blue overhead.

Albus Potter had grasped his best friend's hand and was tugging him through the crowd, two bobbing heads in the midst of the bustling students.

The air was infused with the scent of gardenias that had been recently planted by Filch, and Albus was high off his overflowing joy.

They had finally reached a tiny stone niche, with a miniature angel as a statue. This little alcove was their place. It was a secret known only to them, a world which was cut off from the bustle of reality.

Chests heaving, laughter bubbled out of them as they mused over the fact that they had a whole week off school, thanks to Peeves and his mischief. It was ordered that all students were to be sent back to their homes.

Scorpius' bliss quickly died off, and he recalled that he would be sent home to his grieving father, teetering on the verge of insanity.

Albus noticed his friend's solemn expression, and his heart panged with sadness. He had understood the conflict in Scorpius' home, and he knew he had to do something.

"Hey, Scorp?" He quietly asked.

"Yeah?"

Albus bit his lip, seeming to be thinking. "Why don't you come over to our place for the week?"

Scorpius' melancholy was wiped off his face, joy filling the crevices. "Really? You mean it?"

A wide smile stretched his cheeks, and the dimples that creased them made their mark. Albus grinned slightly. "Yeah."

The Malfoy boy laughed, and then pulled his best friend in for a hug. Unconsciously, Scorpius nuzzled into Albus' shoulder, sighing happily. "Thank you," he whispered.

Albus' cheek was tinged with a pink blush, and he hugged Scorpius back.

Maybe he did have a chance after all.